The rebuilt Arkansas (BB-33) is shown in October 1931. Note her three turret-top range finders, two of which survived to the end of her career.
Her one cage mast carried a main battery fire control station at its head, with an antiaircraft control station inside the mast atop the torpedo defense station (5-inch fire control).
A flag plotting room occupied the base of the cage mast.
The structure abaft the funnel was the after control station, with a range finder atop it, the structure on the mainmast carrying controls for the searchlight above it.
The Arkansas was the last reconstructed battleship to retain her cage mast, and by 1941 replacement by a tripod (for a configuration similar to that of New York (BB-34) was planned.)
|Photo and text courtesy of U.S. Battleships: An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman.
Civil War Era Monitors|
|Pre-Dreadnought Battleships |
|Post-Dreadnought / Newport Conference Design Battleships |
|Post-Dreadnought / Washington Conference Design Battleships |
Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
THE PANAMA CANAL
THE INVISIBLE WONDER OF THE WORLD
INNOVATIVE PATENTS THAT ADVANCED THE USN
A FILM BY CHRIS JORDAN
RESEARCHER @ LARGE