NavSource Main Page FAQ Contact us Search NavSource

Waving US Flag

NavSource Naval History
Photographic History of the United States Navy
DESTROYER
ARCHIVE

USS O'BANNON (DD-177)


Flag Hoist/Radio Call Sign - NEXS

CLASS - WICKES (LITTLE)
Built to a different set of plans (Bethlehem) than the Wickes (Bath) the Little versions were
considered less successful than the Bath designed ships, with few remaining in service past 1936.
Displacement 1,154 Tons, Dimensions, 314' 5" (oa) x 31' 8" x 9' 10" (Max)
Armament 4 x 4"/50, 2 x 1pdr AA (1 x 3"/23AA In Some Ships), 12 x 21" tt..
Machinery, 24,200 SHP; Geared Turbines, 2 screws
Speed, 35 Knots, Crew 103.
Operational and Building Data
Laid down by Union Iron Works, San Francisco on November 12 1918.
Launched February 28 1919 and commissioned August 27 1919.
Decommissioned May 27 1922.
Stricken May 19 1936.
Fate Sold to Schiavone-Bonomo Corp., Jersey City, NJ for $12,916.00 on September 29 1936 and broken up for scrap.

Click On Image
For Full Size Image
Size Image Description Contributed
By
O' Bannon 77kPresley Neville O’Bannon (1776 - 12 September 1850) was an officer in the United States Marine Corps, famous for his exploits in the First Barbary War. He received a sword for his role in restoring Prince Hamet Karamali to his throne at Tripoli in recognition of his bravery. That sword became the model for the Mameluke Sword adopted in 1825 as the Marine officers' sword that is still part of the dress uniform today. Born in Fauquier County, Virginia, O'Bannon entered the Marine Corps 18 January 1801. As a First Lieutenant, he commanded a detachment of seven Marines in General William Eaton’s little force in the War with Tripoli. During the combined operations with the U.S. Navy, he led the successful attack in the Battle of Derna 27 April 1805, giving the Marines' Hymn its immortal “to the shores of Tripoli”. Although some sources maintain that at this battle Presley O'Bannon became the first man to raise the American flag over foreign soil, his superior William Eaton had done so a few months earlier while traveling on the Nile from Alexandria to Cairo. According to tradition, Hamet Karamanli was so impressed with O'Bannon's bravery, that following the attack, he presented Lt. O'Bannon with his personal Mameluke sword as a gesture of gratitude. Upon his return to the states, the state of Virginia presented him with a silver-hilted sword featuring an eaglehead hilt and a curved blade modeled after the original Mameluke given him by Hamet. Its blade is inscribed with his name and a commemoration of the battle of Tripoli. After resigning from the Marine Corps 6 March 1807, O’Bannon moved to Logan County, Kentucky, where he built a home in Russellville. He served in the Kentucky state legislature 1812, 1817, 1820-21 and in the Kentucky state senate 1824-1826. He died 12 September 1850 in Franklin County, Kentucky. His remains were moved to the Frankfort Cemetery in 1919. Perhaps due to the Marines' distinguished record during this campaign, including the capture of the Tripolitan city of Derna after a long and dangerous desert march, Marine Corps Commandant Archibald Henderson adopted the Mameluke sword in 1825 for wear by Marine officers. After initial distribution in 1826, Mameluke swords have been worn except for the years 1859-75 (when Marine officers were required to wear Army M1850 foot officers' swords), and a brief period when swords were suspended during World War II. Since that time, Mameluke swords have been worn by Marine officers in a continuing tradition to the present day as of 2007.Bill Gonyo
O' Bannon 98kUndated, location unknown. USS Renshaw (DD-176), USS Chauncey (DD-296), USS Hogan (DD-178) and USS O'Bannon (DD-177).Lynette Jeffres
O' Bannon 93kUndated, location unknown.Lynette Jeffres
O' Bannon 88kUndated, location unknown.Lynette Jeffres
O' Bannon 78kUndated, location unknown.Lynette Jeffres
O' Bannon 64kUndated, location unknown.Lynette Jeffres
O' Bannon 77kUndated, location unknown.Lynette Jeffres
O'Bannon 134k"Red Lead Row" at the San Diego Destroyer Base, date unknown. This is where most of the inactivated flush deck destroyers rested. Six boats up from the bottom are two Eagle Boats sandwiched in among the flush deckers. Visible are the USS Walker (DD-163), USS O'Bannion (DD-177), and USS Hpward (DD-179) (far back). Photos from Warship Boneyards, by Kit and Carolyn Bonner.Robert Hurst
O' Bannon 196kUndated at the Claudine Wharf, Maui, Hawaii. Photo form the collection of the Vallejo Naval and Historical Museum.Darryl Baker
O'Bannon 64kDestroyers at San Diego, California, circa December 1919. These ships are, from left to right: USS O'Bannon (Destroyer # 177); USS Sproston (Destroyer # 173); USS Hogan (Destroyer # 178); USS Chauncey (Destroyer # 296); and USS Renshaw (Destroyer # 176). All were members of the 22nd Destroyer Division except Chauncey, which was then the only active member of the 32nd Destroyer Division. Note "Merry Christmas" sign and Christmas tree atop Renshaw's pilothouse. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.Tony Cowart
O'Bannon 47kPhoto #: NH 100413, destroyers moored off San Diego, California, circa 1920-1922. Among the ships in this "nest" are USS MacKenzie (DD-175), USS O'Bannon (DD-177) and USS Swasey (DD-273). Courtesy of Jack Howland, 1985. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.Tony Cowart
O' Bannon 63kCirca early 1920's, location unknown.Marc Piché
O' Bannon 104kO’Bannon, DD 177, about 1920. Naval Historical Center photo NH 63480.Fred Weiss
O'Bannon 120kA panoramic photograph of Officers and Crews of the 22nd Destroyer Division, taken on the ships' foredecks while they were moored in San Diego, California, January 10 1922. Taken by A.O. Tunnell, San Diego. Ships are from left to right: USS Rizel (Destroyer # 174); USS Renshaw (Destroyer # 176); USS O'Bannon (Destroyer # 177); USS Hogan (Destroyer # 178); and USS Mackenzie (Destroyer # 175). Note signalmen making semophore signals from atop the ship's pilothouses. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photo # NH 102784.Robert Hurst
Red Lead Row 195kRed Lead Row, San Diego Destroyer Base, California. Photographed at the end of 1922, with at least 65 destroyers tied up there. Ships present are identified as: (left to right, in the right diagonal row): Stansbury (DD-180); MacKenzie (DD-175); Renshaw (DD-176); Howard (DD-179); Gillis (DD-260); Tingey (DD-272); McLanahan (DD-264); Swasey (DD-273); Morris (DD-271); Bailey (DD-269); Tattnall (DD-125); Breese (DD-122); Radford (DD-120); Aaron Ward (DD-132) -- probably; Ramsey (DD-124); Montgomery (DD-121); and Lea (DD-118). (left to right, in the middle diagonal row): Wickes (DD-75); Thornton (DD-270); Meade (DD-274); Crane (DD-109); Evans (DD-78); McCawley (DD-276); Doyen (DD-280); Elliot (DD-146); Henshaw (DD-278); Moody (DD-277); Meyer (DD-279); Sinclair (DD-275); Turner (DD-259); Philip (DD-76); Hamilton (DD-141); Boggs (DD-136); Claxton (DD-140); Ward (DD-139); Hazelwood (DD-107) or Kilty (DD-137); Kennison (DD-138); Jacob Jones (DD-130); Aulick (DD-258); Babbitt (DD-128); Twiggs (DD-127); and Badger (DD-126). (left to right, in the left diagonal row): Shubrick (DD-268); Edwards (DD-265); Palmer (DD-161); Welles (DD-257); Mugford (DD-105); Upshur (DD-144); Greer (DD-145); Wasmuth (DD-338); Hogan (DD-178); O'Bannon (DD-177); and -- possibly -- Decatur (DD-341). (Nested alongside wharf in left center, left to right): Prairie (AD-5); Buffalo (AD-8); Trever (DD-339); and Perry (DD-340). Minesweepers just astern of this group are Partridge (AM-16) and Brant (AM-24). Nearest ship in the group of destroyers at far left is Dent (DD-116). The others with her are unidentified. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph. : NH 42539 Robert Hurst

USS O' BANNON DD-177 History
View This Vessels DANFS History Entry
(Located On The hazegray Web Site, This Is The Main Archive For The DANFS Online Project.)

Commanding Officers
Thanks to Wolfgang Hechler & Ron Reeves

LT Robert Frank Gross    Aug 27 1919 - Oct 19 1919
CDR William Linn Culbertson    Oct 19 1919 - ?
LT John Frood Prentice Miller    Aug 22 1920 - ?
LT Jay Ray Smith    Dec 4 1920 - ?
LCDR John Harding Culin    Nov 14 1921 - ?
LT George Maus Lowry    Nov 21 1921 - May 27 1922 (Later RADM)

Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
Tin Can Sailors Website
Destroyer History Foundation
Destroyers Online Website
Official U.S.Navy Destroyer Website

Back To The Main Photo Index To The Destroyer Index Page


Comments and Suggestions about this page, E-mail DestroyerInfo
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster