NavSource Main Page FAQ Contact us Search NavSource

Waving US Flag

NavSource Naval History
Photographic History of the United States Navy
DESTROYER
ARCHIVE

USS GWIN (Torpedo Boat # 16, TB-16)
later renamed Cyane and then redesignated YFB-4

CLASS - Talbot As Built.
Displacement 46 Tons.
Dimensions 100' (oa) x 12' 6" x 3' 3".
Armament 1 x 1 pdr. R.F., 2 x 18" tt.
Speed 20 Knots, Crew 16.

Operational and Building Data
Builder Herreshoff. Manufacturing Co. Bristol, R.I.
Launched 15 November 1897.
Commissioned 4 April 1898.
Decommissioned 18 April 1914, inactivated but retained as a ferry.
Renamed Cyane on 11 April 1918.
Redesignated YFB-4 on 17 July 1920.
Stricken 30 April 1925.
Fate sold for scrapping 24 September 1925.

Click On Image
For Full Size Image
Size Image Description Contributed
By And/Or Copyright
Gwin 58KWilliam Gwin was born 6 December 1832 in Columbus, Ind, and appointed a Midshipman 7 April 1847. One of the most promising officers in the nation, he had risen to the rank of Lieutenant Commander by the time of his death. During the Civil War he commanded several ships of the Mississippi Squadron. He was one of Flag Officer Foote's "can do" officers, displaying outstanding initiative, energy and dash. After the fall of Fort Henry he swept with his wooden gunboats up the Tennessee River all the way to regions of Alabama, spreading destruction and terror. This action was a major factor in the collapse Of the Confederate lines far behind him in Kentucky. Fire support from two of his gunboats, Tyler and Lexington, helped save Union troops from disaster in the Battle of Shiloh, bringing high praise from General Grant. He was wounded in action 27 December 1862 while commanding gunboat Benton in the Battle of Haines Bluff on the Yazoo River. He died from these injuries 3 January 1863 on board a hospital ship in the Mississippi River.NHC
Gwin 65kPhoto #: NH 100042. Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia. Torpedo boats of the Atlantic Fleet Reserve Torpedo Flotilla at the Norfolk Navy Yard, circa 1907. Most of these craft are partially dismantled. The two boats in the front right and the one in the front left (listed in no particular order) are: USS Bagley (TB-24), USS Barney (TB-25) and USS Biddle (TB-26). The two larger boats between them, in the foreground are (left to right): USS DuPont (TB-7) and USS Porter (TB- 6). The three boats in the back row are (left to right): One of the three Torpedo Boat # 3 class (Foote, Rodgers or Winslow), USS Cushing (TB-1) and either USS Gwin (TB-16) or USS Talbot (TB-15). The receiving ship USS Franklin (1867-1915) and a two-masted schooner are in the distance. Courtesy of R.D. Jeska, 1984. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.NHC
Gwin 139kPhoto #: 19-N-14-29-2. USS Gwin (Torpedo Boat # 16) under construction at the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company, Bristol, Rhode Island, in 1897. USS Talbot (Torpedo Boat # 15) in the right center background, also under construction. Photograph from the Bureau of Ships Collection in the U.S. National Archives.NHC
Gwin 73kPhoto #: NH 92311. Cyane (YFB-4, ex-USS Gwin, Torpedo Boat # 16) ship's bow undergoing repairs at about the beginning of January 1922, after having accidently rammed the stone sea wall while coming into the Torpedo Station at Newport, Rhode Island. Cyane was repaired by Navy personnel by early March 1922 and returned to service. Note that she still wears her torpedo boat bow number ("16"), despite having been converted to a ferry several years previously. The original print is in National Archives Record Group 19, Entry 105, Box 192, File O-YFB4. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.NHC
Gwin 76kPhoto #: NH 92313. Cyane (YFB-4, ex-USS Gwin, Torpedo Boat # 16) forward half of the ship, photographed in March or very early April 1922, following completion of repairs to her bow, damaged in a collision with the stone sea wall at the Torpedo Station, Newport, Rhode Island. Navy Torpedo Test Barge # 2 (built 1916) is in the right background. The original print is in National Archives Record Group 19, Entry 105, Box 192, File O-YFB4. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.NHC

USS Gwin TB-16 History
View This Vessels DANFS History Entry
(Located On The Hazegray Web Site, This Is The Main Archive For The DANFS Online Project.)

Commanding Officers
Thanks to Wolfgang Hechler & Ron Reeves

LTJG Clarence Stewart Williams    Apr 4 1898 - Feb 25 1899 (Later RADM)
LT Richard Harrison Jackson    Feb 25 1899 - ? (Later RADM)
LT Andre Morton Proctor    Dec 7 1901 - Jan 10 1903
LT John Fore Hines    Jan 10 1903 - ?

Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
NavSource Yard & District Craft Page
Tin Can Sailors Website
Destroyer History Foundation
Destroyers Online Website
Official U.S.Navy Destroyer Website


Back To The Main Photo Index To The Destroyer Index Page

Comments and Suggestions about this page, E-mail DestroyerInfo
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster