Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|553k||Dew you christen me? R-17 (SS-94) sponsored by Miss Bertha F. Dew, launched 24 December 1917.||National Archives Identifier: 45548681|
Local Identifier: 165-WW-505B-70.
Photo courtesy of catalog.archives.gov
|1.44k||Construction of Uncle Sam's latest type of Submarine Class R, 6 March 1918.
Six R boats under constructions at Union Iron Works, San Francisco, CA.
R-15 (SS-92), R-16 (SS-93), R-17 (SS-94), R-18 (SS-95), R-19 (SS-96) & R-20 (SS-97).
The three boats closest to the camera are numbered on their sterns 16, 17 & 18. The other three boats viewed bow on can't be identified.
|National Archives Identifier: 55173460|
Local Identifier: 111-SC-006278.
Photo courtesy of catalog.archives.gov
|583k||The hull of R-17 (SS-94) at Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp, San Francisco, CA., 5 July 1918. She would be launched in 5 weeks.||USN photo courtesy of Scott Koen & ussnewyork.com.|
|483k||R-17 (SS-94) emblazoned with her triangle.||USN photo courtesy of Scott Koen & ussnewyork.com.|
|87k|| Beaver (AS-5)
at anchor off the Mare Island Navy Yard, California, with six submarines alongside, circa late 1918.|
R-18 (SS-95) &
|U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 56366.|
|76k||Beaver (AS-5) in port, circa 1919, with R-20 (SS-97) & R-17 (SS-94) along side.||Photo i.d. courtesy of Ric Hedman.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 56364.
|324k||Tic Tac Toe in the Pacific with the X marked R-12 (SS-89), R-16 (SS-93) [with the circle] & R-17 (SS-94) [with the triangle].||USN photo courtesy of Scott Koen & ussnewyork.com.|
|412k||Subs R U.S.|
From right to left:
R-14 (SS-91) &
|Photo courtesy of David Wright.
Photo added 02/01/18.
|38k||R-17 (SS-94) receiving a civilian dignitary. This could possibly be Secretary of the Navy Denby who visited Pearl Harbor in 1922. R-16 (SS-93) is moored outboard.||USN photo courtesy of National Archives via Ric Hedman.|
|800k||JULES VERNE, MODERNIZED.
In the air and under the water, Secretary of Navy Denby making a quick change from sea-plane to submarine at sea on recent trip to Hawaii.
|Image and text provided by Penn State University Libraries; University Park, PA.|
Photo & text by Evening Public Ledger. (Philadelphia [Pa.]) 1914-1942, 24 October 1922, Night Extra, Image 36, via chroniclingamerica.loc.gov.
|99k||Kahului, Maui, Hawaii Territory. U.S. Navy ships and aircraft at Kahului, circa 1922-1924. The ships are (from left to right): Burns (DM-11, ex-DD-171), commanded by Lieutenant Commander Olaf M. Hustvedt; Seagull (AM-30), with R-17 (SS-94) alongside; and Two "Eagle" boats, with Eagle (PE-40) furthest to the right, wearing an aviation star insignia. Two HS-2L flying boats are moored astern of the "Eagle" boats.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 104548. Photographed by Tai Sing Loo. Photo from the 1909-1924 album of Vice Admiral Olaf M. Hustvedt, USN (Retired). Courtesy of Rick Hauck, 2006.|
|32k||R-17 (SS-94) underway in a tinted colored photo, circa 1923.||USN photo courtesy of National Archives via Ric Hedman.|
|75k||R-17 (SS-94) diving off Hawaii. Circa 1925.||USN photo by Tai Sing Loo, courtesy of ussubvetsofwwii.org.|
|3.08k||R & S boats at the sub base, Pearl Harbor, November 1925. The barracks ship, ex-Chicago (CL-14) is at the right of the photo.||Photo from the private collection of Ric Hedman.|
|220k||R-17 (SS-94) underway with an Admiral aboard. His flag is flying from the bridge.||USN photo by Tai Sing Loo, courtesy of ussubvetsofwwii.org.|
|292k||The crews of Submarine Divisions 9 & 14 line the decks of their boats (20 in all) at the Submarine base at Pearl Harbor on 12 December 1930.|
R-19 (SS-96) &
All the R-boats were to leave the base where they had been serving for upwards of 8 years and transfer to the East coast to be decommissioned over the next 3 years.
The only identifiable boat is the R-16.
|USN photo by Tai Sing Loo, courtesy of E. Little.|
|417k||These World War submarines, [O & R-boats] tied up in the Navy Yard in Philadelphia for a dozen years, are being reconditioned and some are already in active service again, it was announced 10 January 1941. This picture shows them as they appeared before the repair program began. |
From Left to right: O-3 (SS-64), unknown, R-1 (SS-78), R-7 (SS-84), R-20 (SS-97), R-19 (SS-96) & R-17 (SS-94).
|Photo courtesy of the George D. McDowell Philadelphia Evening Bulletin Photographs @ digital.library.temple.edu|
|2.00k||Philadelphia Navy Yard, 28 October 1940.
The photo presented panorama military shipyards in Philadelphia Navy Yard. Most of the ships are obsolete US destroyers, that were transfer to Great Britain under lend lease.
The submarines are on the left hand side of the photo, and they are: (in no particular order)
The O boats:O-1 (SS-62), O-2 (SS-63), O-3 (SS-64), O-6 (SS-67), O-7 (SS-68), O-8 (SS-69), O-9 (SS-70), O-10 (SS-71).
The R boats: R-1 (SS-78), R-2 (SS-79), R-3 (SS-80), R-5 (SS-82), R-6 (SS-83), R-7 (SS-84), R-8 (SS-85), R-9 (SS-86), R-10 (SS-87), R-12 (SS-89), R-15 (SS-92), R-16 (SS-93), R-17 (SS-94), R-18 (SS-95), R-19 (SS-96) & R-20 (SS-97).
The S boats: S-11 (SS-116), S-12 (SS-117), S-13 (SS-118), S-14 (SS-119), S-15 (SS-120), S-16 (SS-121), S-17 (SS-122) & S-48 (SS-159).
The Olympia (C-6) is shown at the right of the wharf on Broad Street.
The stadium in the upper left, was John F. Kennedy Stadium (formally Philadelphia Municipal Stadium)that stood from 1926 to 1992. It was erected for the 1926 Sesquicentennial.
|Photo i.d. courtesy of Ron Reeves (of blessed memory).
Photo courtesy of flickr.com.
Lower resolution photo. (548k)
|HMS P 512|
|39k||R-17 (SS-94) outboard & R-18 (SS-95) moored at Trinidad, Spring 1943.||USN photo courtesy of National Archives via Ric Hedman, Mike Green, & uscg.mil.|
|28k||Commemorative issue & photo inset of the R-17 (SS-94) as the HMS P512, following the Lend - Lease Act in 1941.||Photo courtesy of Jack Treutle (of blessed memory).|
|401k||This air view of Portsmouth Navy Yard taken just after the end of WW II shows the main shipbuilding shed which enabled construction to continue unimpeded by the Maine winters. The shed was widened to add two ways in 1941, and a fifth was squeezed in a year later. Drydocks No. 1 (left) & 2 (far right) contain six fleet submarines, while three R-boats are moored in the foreground.
The Pompano (SS-491) would have been under construction in the first ways on the left hand corner of the main shipbuilding shed.
|Photo and partial text from The Fleet Submarine in the U.S. Navy: A Design and Construction History, by John D. Alden.|
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Submarine Index|
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster|
This page is created by Gary Priolo and maintained by Michael Mohl|
©1996 - 2019, NavSource History All rights reserved.