Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|1.79k||Construction of Uncle Sam's latest type of Submarine Class R, 6 March 1918.
Six R boats under constructions at Union Iron Works, San Francisco, CA.
R-15 (SS-92), R-16 (SS-93), R-17 (SS-94), R-18 (SS-95), R-19 (SS-96) & R-20 (SS-97).
The three boats closest to the camera are numbered on their sterns 16, 17 & 18. The other three boats viewed bow on can't be identified.
|National Archives Identifier: 55173460|
Local Identifier: 111-SC-006278.
Photo courtesy of catalog.archives.gov
Photo added 03/30/17.
|726k||Launching of R-18 (SS-95) at Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp. Lt'd. Union Plant San Francisco, Calif. on 8 January 1918. Insert is a picture of the ship's sponsor, Miss. Marion S. Russell.||USN photo courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.|
|87k|| Beaver (AS-5)
at anchor off the Mare Island Navy Yard, California, with six submarines alongside, circa late 1918.|
R-18 (SS-95) &
|U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 56366.|
|307k||R-18 (SS-95) at anchor at Pearl Harbor, October 1923.||USN photo # 80-G-422856, from National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), College Park, Maryland, courtesy of Sean Hert.|
|192k||R-18 (SS-95) underway in Honolulu harbour.||Photo courtesy of Robert Hurst.|
|3.08k||R & S boats at the sub base, Pearl Harbor, November 1925. The barracks ship, ex-Chicago (CL-14) is at the right of the photo.||Photo from the private collection of Ric Hedman.|
|1.40k||R-18 (SS-95) underway in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Territory, during the 1920s or early 1930s. Seaplane hangars on the southern end of Ford Island are in the right background.||USN photo # NH 107307, courtesy of U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command. Collection of Chief Warrant Officer James B. Dofflemeyer, USN & provided by Robert Hurst.|
|152k||The crews of Submarine Divisions 9 & 14 line the decks of their boats (20 in all) at the Submarine base at Pearl Harbor on 12 December 1930.|
R-19 (SS-96) &
All the R-boats were to leave the base where they had been serving for upwards of 8 years and transfer to the East coast to be decommissioned over the next 3 years.
The only identifiable boat is the R-16.
|USN photo by Tai Sing Loo, courtesy of E. Little.|
|2.49k||Philadelphia Navy Yard, 28 October 1940.
The photo presented panorama military shipyards in Philadelphia Navy Yard. Most of the ships are obsolete US destroyers, that were transfer to Great Britain under lend lease.
The submarines are on the left hand side of the photo, and they are: (in no particular order)
The O boats:O-1 (SS-62), O-2 (SS-63), O-3 (SS-64), O-6 (SS-67), O-7 (SS-68), O-8 (SS-69), O-9 (SS-70), O-10 (SS-71).
The R boats: R-1 (SS-78), R-2 (SS-79), R-3 (SS-80), R-5 (SS-82), R-6 (SS-83), R-7 (SS-84), R-8 (SS-85), R-9 (SS-86), R-10 (SS-87), R-12 (SS-89), R-15 (SS-92), R-16 (SS-93), R-17 (SS-94), R-18 (SS-95), R-19 (SS-96) & R-20 (SS-97).
The S boats: S-11 (SS-116), S-12 (SS-117), S-13 (SS-118), S-14 (SS-119), S-15 (SS-120), S-16 (SS-121), S-17 (SS-122) & S-48 (SS-159).
The Olympia (C-6) is shown at the right of the wharf on Broad Street.
The stadium in the upper left, was John F. Kennedy Stadium (formally Philadelphia Municipal Stadium)that stood from 1926 to 1992. It was erected for the 1926 Sesquicentennial.
|Photo i.d. courtesy of Ron Reeves.
Photo courtesy of flickr.com.
Lower resolution photo. (548k)
|91k||These World War submarines, [R-boats] tied up in the Navy Yard in Philadelphia for a dozen years, are being reconditioned and some are already in active service again, it was announced 10 January 1941. This picture shows them as they appeared before the repair program began.||Photo & text courtesy of A.P. Wire courtesy of philly.com.|
|39k||R-17 (SS-94) outboard & R-18 (SS-95) moored at Trinidad, Spring 1943.||USN photo courtesy of National Archives via Ric Hedman, Mike Green, & uscg.mil.|
|401k||This air view of Portsmouth Navy Yard taken just after the end of WW II shows the main shipbuilding shed which enabled construction to continue unimpeded by the Maine winters. The shed was widened to add two ways in 1941, and a fifth was squeezed in a year later. Drydocks No. 1 (left) & 2 (far right) contain six fleet submarines, while three R-boats are moored in the foreground.
The Pompano (SS-491) would have been under construction in the first ways on the left hand corner of the main shipbuilding shed.
|Photo and partial text from The Fleet Submarine in the U.S. Navy: A Design and Construction History, by John D. Alden.|
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Submarine Index|
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster|
This page is created by Gary Priolo and maintained by Michael Mohl|
©1996 - 2017, NavSource History All rights reserved.