Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Submarine Photo Archive

R-24 (SS-101)

Radio Call Sign: November - India - Mike - Bravo

R-21 Class Submarine: Laid down, 9 May 1917, at Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, CT.; Launched, 21 August 1918; Commissioned, USS R-24, 27 June 1919; Redesignated USS R-24 (SS-101), 17 July 1920; Decommissioned, 11 June 1925, at Philadelphia Navy Yard, Philadelphia, PA.; Laid up in the Reserve Fleet at League Island, PA.; Struck from the Naval Register, 9 May 1930; Final Disposition, sold for scrapping, 30 July 1930.
Partial data submitted by Yves Hubert.

Specifications: Displacement, Surfaced: 510 t., Submerged: 583 t.; Length 175' ; Beam 16' 8"; Draft 13' 11"; Speed, surfaced 14 kts, submerged 11 kts; Depth Limit, 200'; Complement 2 Officers, 27 Enlisted; Armament, four 18" torpedo tubes forward, 8 torpedoes, one 3"/50 deck gun; Propulsion, diesel electric engines, Busch Sulzer Brothers Diesel Engine Co., diesel engines, HP 1,000, Fuel Capacity, 17,922 gals., Diehl Manufacture Co., electric motors, HP 800, Battery Cells 120, twin propellers.
Click On Image
For Full Size
Size Image Description Source
R-27 483k Lt. Comdr. Andrew C. Bennett was the 1st CO of R-24 (SS-101), 21 August 1918 at Lake Torpedo Boat Co, Bridgeport, CT. Photo i.d. courtey of Ric Hedman.
Photographer: Committee Public Information.
National Archives Identifier: 45548601
Local Identifier: 165-WW-505B-030.
Photo courtesy of
Lake's R boats 88k Lake's R-boats R-21-27 / (SS-98/104), were the last of his designs to be built in any numbers. He abandoned amidships diving planes in this class, but his characteristics stern remained. The horizontal tube aft is an access tube connecting the motor room to the tiller room aft. Drawing by Jim Christley, text courtesy of U.S. Submarines Through 1945, An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman. Naval Institute Press.
O & R 995k Bow view of the O-11 (SS-72), R-21 (SS-98), R-22 (SS-99), R-24 (SS-101) & R-27 (SS-104) at the Lake Torpedo Boat Company shipyard, Bridgeport, Connecticut on 7 October 1918. US National Archives photo # 19 lc 1154 from NARA, College Park, Maryland, courtesy of Sean Hert.
 R 986k R-21 (SS-98), R-22 (SS-99), R-23 (SS-100), R-24 (SS-101) & R-27 (SS-104) bow view on 2 January 1919. US National Archives photo # 19 lc cr 1239 from NARA, College Park, Maryland, courtesy of Sean Hert.
Seaman E. T. Valley, of the R-24 (SS-101) a submarine which is now in Bridgeport harbor for the purpose of securing naval recruits, rescued F M. Beeso, 15, of Drawbridge avenue, from the water of the harbor off the Union street dock yesterday afternoon, after the boy had toppled from the structure dragging a bicycle with him. Beeso was watching the submarine swing into position when the bicycle on which he was standing tipped over and threw him into the water. Valley, who witnessed the accident from the deck of the submarine, plunging overboard, and after a spectacular struggle brought the youngster to safety. The bicycle sank to the bottom of the harbor.
Image and text provided by Connecticut State Library, Hartford, CT.
Photo & text by The Bridgeport Times and Evening Farmer. (Bridgeport, Conn.) 1918-1924, 27 August 1919, Image 5, via
R-24 134k PDF entitled "How the Diesel engine came to America."
The R-24 (SS-101) had her diesel engines overhauled on 27 June 1919.
Photo courtesy of
The submarine R-24 went aground at 1 a. m. off Bridgeport Bug Light and had not been floated up to press hour. R-24 left Bridgeport last night at 8 o'clock on an electrical test and was returning to Bridgeport when she went aground. The unusual high tide last night is believed to have been the cause of the mishap. The tender L. T. B. and several tugs are standing by ready to render any possible aid. The R-24 suffered no damage to her hull and is in no immediate danger of pounding on the rocks. Efforts to release her last night proved futile. The stern of the boat is high on the rocks and the general belief is that it will be a difficult task to release the undersea craft. Lieut "W. K. Phillips, in command, and the crew of 17 men stood by. The R-24 suffered a similar accident last week.
Image and text provided by Connecticut State Library, Hartford, CT.
Photo & text by The Bridgeport Times and Evening Farmer. (Bridgeport, Conn.) 1918-1924, 30 November 1921, Image 12, via
R-24 749k Port side view of the R-24 (SS-101) in the Reserve Basin at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, 22 September 1923, when the boat was undergoing a shipyard overhaul. At the end of 1924 she returned for inactivation.
Among the decommissioned ships nested to the right that are identifiable, is the San Francisco (C-5) (first from left) & the Solace (AH-2) (second on left) and four destroyers. The destroyer second from right is Drayton (DD-23). Visible in the right distance is Coal Barge No. 301.
Partial text courtesy of DANFS.
USN photo courtesy of Robert Hurst.
Photo i.d. courtesy of Aryeh Weterhorn,David Johnston, Darryl L. Baker & Mike Green & Robert Hurst.

View the R-24 (SS-101)
DANFS history entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Web Site.
Crew Contact And Reunion Information
U.S. Navy Memorial Foundation
Fleet Reserve Association

Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
PigBoats.COM TM A Historic Look at Submarines

Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Submarine Index
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster
This page is created by Gary Priolo and maintained by Michael Mohl
All Pages 1996 - 2022, NavSource History All rights reserved.