Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|88k||Driving the first rivet, during keel laying ceremonies for the S-8 (SS-113) at the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, Maine, 9 November 1918. Members of the ceremonial rivet driving team are identified as (from left to right): Joseph Lebinsky, Rivet Heater; Lawrence S. Adams, Rivet Passer; Captain F.W. Wieber, Riveter; Lieutenant H.F. McCarthy; and Commander F.W. Hyden.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 46547.|
|533k||The hammer that struck the first rivet on the keel of the S-8 (SS-113) is inscribed with the words: "First Rivet, Submarine S-113, Navy Yard Ports. N.H. November 9-1918" and the other side says "Capt F.W.F. Wieber USN".||Photo contributed courtesy of Bill Wieber, Chief Warrant Officer 3, USN (Ret.).,
Owner, The Bosn's Locker / American Quarterdeck, &
nephew of Captain F.W. Wieber, Riveter of the S-8.
|112k||Flags a plenty on S-8 (SS-113) as she is launched on 21 April 1920.||Photo i.d. courtesy of Ric Hedman.
Photo courtesy of Scott Koen & ussnewyork.com.
|139k|| S-8 (SS-113), shown in April 1921, was a C & R-type boat (similar to S-4-9 & 14-17) built at Portsmouth Navy Yard. Of the three periscopes, #2 is an alti-periscope. Submarines sometimes flew the small metal flag atop it to warn surface craft of their presence in the hope of avoiding collision. Abaft the three periscopes is the telescoping mast. On deck are her Y-tubes (3 rats) and SC-tube. |
Unlike an E.B. design, this one shows all batteries concentrated forward under the crew's & officer's quarters, all of which were abaft the torpedo room. The vertical tube forward of the conning tower accommodates 4-in service ready rounds. Compared with the Holland version, these S-boats were much more heavily framed & more subdivided, with heavy bulkheads shown between the forward torpedo room, the accommodation space above the battery, the control room, the engine room & the motor room.
Note the pipe aft, leading into the keel. In these boats something approaching an E.B. style duct keel was provided, with Kingstons under the control room & a main bilge pump (not shown) at the upper end of the curved pipe. The combination of pressure-proof bulkheads & escape hatches forward & aft made it unnecessary to modify tyhem heavily after the S-4 (SS-109) disaster.
| Drawing by Jim Christley. Text courtesy of U.S. Submarines Through 1945, An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman. Naval Institute Press.
|42k||S-8 (SS-113) at the Cavite Navy Yard, Philippine Islands, circa 1921-1924.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 103259. Collection of Chief Engineman Virgil Breland, USN. Donated by Mrs. E.H. Breland, 1979.|
|234k||The S-8 (SS-113) in 1924. Inscribed on the photo is a comment about their record run from China to Frisco without a breakdown. The contributors father was James Everett Gholson who served on as Seaman 1st Class & Ships Cook 3rd Class.||Photo courtesy of James Edward Gholson.|
|244k||S-8 (SS-113) being examined by Navy officers for clues on how to salvage the S-4 (SS-119) that has sunk with all hands. |
The S-8 was at one point the Flagship for Submarine Division Twelve.
|Text i.d. courtesy of Ric Hedman.
USN photo courtesy of Scott Koen & ussnewyork.com.
|80k||The S-6 (SS-111) & S-8 (SS-113) circa 1924 - 26. |
On 30 December 1924, S-6 and her division (SubDiv 12) arrived at Mare Island, Calif. They operated along the west coast until 15 February 1927; in the Panama Canal area during March and April; then returned to New London on 3 May to operate along the New England coast.
|Photo courtesy of James Edward Gholson. Text courtesy of DANFS.|
|223k||Stern view of the S-7 (SS-112) with the S-6 (SS-111) & S-8 (SS-113) docked ahead somewhere on the Pacific coast during the mid 1920's.||Photo courtesy of Charles J. Townsend via his son, Jim Townsend.|
|103k||The Submarine Tender Holland (AS-3) in port, with several S-boats type submarines alongside, circa 1926. Note the Submarine Division Eleven insignia on the fairwaters of the two inboard subs. Submarines present are (from inboard to outboard): |
S-6 (SS-111) &
|U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 53436.|
|115k||The Submarine Tender Camden (AS-6)
photographed circa the middle or later 1920s, with ten S-boats alongside. The submarines are (on Camden's starboard side, from left to right):
S-18 (SS-123) & unidentified Electric Boat type S-boat;
S-12 (SS-117); and an unidentified Government type S-boat.
On Camden'sport side, from left to right:
Unidentified Government type S-boat;
S-9 (SS-114); and
|U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph NH 100459.Collection of Vice Admiral Dixwell Ketcham, USN.|
|466k||The S-8 (SS-113) possibly at New London, circa late 1920's.||USN photo courtesy of ussubvetsofwwii.org.|
|904k||The S-8 (SS-113) in drydock, note stern plane arrangement. It seems to be one large plate with a single ram for moving it.||USN photo courtesy of Milne Special Collections, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, N.H. Photo and text contributed by Ric Hedman/rddesigns.com.|
|212k||S-8 (SS-113) in dry dock.||USN photo courtesy of Scott Koen & ussnewyork.com.|
|618k||Ahead of the S-8 (SS-113) in dry dock is what looks like a flush deck four pipe destroyer.||Photo submitted by Charles R. Hinman,
Director of Education & Outreach,
USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park, &
On Eternal Patrol. Photo i.d. & text courtesy of David Johnston (USNR).
|74k||The S-8 (SS-113); S-3 (SS-107); S-4 (SS-109) & S-6 (SS-111) at Portsmouth, NH. The boat on far left can't be identified.||USN photo courtesy of Milne Special Collections, University of New Hampshire Library, Durham, N.H. Photo and text contributed by by Ric Hedman/rddesigns.com.|
|99k||Port side upper torpedo tube shutter of the S-8 (SS-113) in the partially open position, showing double batten arrangement. Photographed at the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, Maine, 9 September 1927. Note the chain at right.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 41750.|
|91k||Port side upper torpedo tube shutter of the S-8 (SS-113) in the open position, showing double batten arrangement.Photographed at the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, Maine, 9 September 1927. Note the chain at right.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 41751.|
|86k||Port side upper torpedo tube shutter of the S-8 (SS-113) in the closed position, showing double batten arrangement.Photographed at the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, Maine, 9 September 1927. Note S-8's stem at left, and limber holes in her outer hull plating.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 41752.|
|68k||S-8's (SS-113) starboard side upper torpedo tube shutter in the closed position, showing double batten arrangement. Photographed at the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, Maine, 9 September 1927.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 41753.|
|223k||Sub S-8 (SS-113) at the Navy Yard after standing by S-4 (SS-109) off Provincetown when she was rammed and sent to the bottom by Paulding (CG-17) on 17 December 1927.||Photo courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection via Sean Hert & flickr.com.|
|771k||Sub S-8 (SS-113) in Charlestown Navy Yard, 15 January 1928.||Photo courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection via Sean Hert & flickr.com.|
|968k||Sub S-8 (SS-113) coming into Charlestown Navy Yard, 1 March 1928.||Photo courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection via Sean Hert & flickr.com.|
|425k||S-3 (SS-107), S-6 (SS-111), S-7 (SS-112), S-8 (SS-113), S-9 (SS-114) going out of commission at Philadelphia Navy Yard, 23 October 1930.||Photo courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection via Sean Hert & flickr.com.|
|67k||These O type and S type submarines which were used during the World War have since been decommissioned and are now laid up in the Phila. Navy Yard. The peaceful surroundings are quite a contrast to those of their active war days. They are pictured here on 17 July 1936.
The S-10 (SS-115) was decommissioned on the day this photo was taken at Philadelphia Navy Yard, Philadelphia, PA. and laid up in the Reserve Fleet.
Pictured also are any of the following boats that were at the PNY during this time.
The O boats:O-1 (SS-62), O-2 (SS-63), O-3 (SS-64), O-6 (SS-67), O-7 (SS-68), O-8 (SS-69), O-9 (SS-70), O-10 (SS-71).
The S boats: S-6 (SS-111), S-7 (SS-112), S-8 (SS-113), S-9 (SS-114), S-11 (SS-116), S-12 (SS-117), S-13 (SS-118), S-14 (SS-119), S-15 (SS-120), S-16 (SS-121), S-17 (SS-122) & S-48 (SS-159).
|Photo & text courtesy of A.P. Wire courtesy of philly.com.|
|554k||OLD WARRIOR JOIN THE SCRAP;
"These decommissioned U.S. submarines, built between 1917 and 1921, have been towed from the Philadelphia Navy Yard up the Deleware River to be junked. They will add some 4,430 tons to the nation's depleted scrap pile."
It is possible that these subs are the S-3 (SS-107), S-6 (SS-111), S-7 (SS-112), S-8 (SS-113), S-9 (SS-114).
They were all struck from the Navy list on 25 January 1937 and subsequently scrapped, date unknown.
|Photo from the Vallejo Times Herald, Vallejo, California, 25 October 1942 courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.
Photo added 02/02/15.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Submarine Index|
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster|
This page is created by Gary Priolo and maintained by Michael Mohl|
©1996 - 2017, NavSource History All rights reserved.