Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|471k||Battery cell #73 of S-30 (SS-135) fame at Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp, Ltd., Union Plant, Potrero Wks.||Photo courtesy of Tommy Trampp.|
|190k||A composite photo marking the launching of S-30 (SS-135) at Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp, Ltd., Union Plant, Potrero Wks. on 21 November 1918. The ship's sponsor Mrs. Edward S. Stalnaker is shown on the right.||USN photo courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.|
|79k||Port side view of the S-30 (SS-135) waterborne after her launch on 21 November 1918.||USN photo courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.|
|113k||The S-boat was the culmination of E.B. single-hull design for the U.S. Navy. This is a typical unit of the S-30-41 (SS-135-46) group, as completed. Ballast trunks are indicated. Lines below the hull show the location of the fuel tanks forward & aft (the foremost two tanks of the after group are the lubricating oil tank & sump tank). Arrows indicate the two Fessenden oscillators under the boat's keel, fore & aft. Arrows in the bridge structure indicate the three periscopes (one in the conning tower, soon removed) the telescoping radio mast & the radio tube leading down into the radio room.
In the control room the wheels controlling the planes were on the port side: the three levers for the Kingston valves were on the opposite side, abaft the chart table. The radio room, (below the radio tube, into which the antenna leads ran) was set into the after port side of the control room.
Abaft the main motors were auxiliaries: the low pressure main ballast pump on the center-line, the high pressure main ballast pump on the starboard shaft, the motor for the Fessenden oscillator on the port shaft.
| Drawing & Text courtesy of U.S. Submarines Through 1945, An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman. Naval Institute Press.
|1.81k||12 photo PDF showing views of the S-30 (SS-135) on her sea trials on 26 August 1920, outside San Pedro, California.||USN photo # 19-N-3277, from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), courtesy of Daniel Dunham.|
|188k||Inboard alongside pier are the S-30 (SS-135), S-33 (SS-138), and S-20 (SS-125) , at the Groton CT, Navy Yard, 2 October 1923.||USN photo # 19-N-8918, from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), courtesy of Daniel Dunham.|
|152k||Portside view of the S-30 (SS-135) entering Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, post 1925.||USN photo # 19-N-17940, from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), courtesy of Daniel Dunham.|
|53k||S-30 (SS-135) underway off the Mare Island Navy Yard, California, during the early or mid-1920s. The paddle-wheel ferry steamer Bay City is tied up at a Vallejo, California wharf, in the right background.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 103607.|
|69k||S-30 (SS-135) at the Olongapo Naval Station, Philippine Islands, with several other S-boats, circa 1925-1932. All the submarines are dressed with flags, probably for a holiday. Collection of Chief Engineman Virgil Breland, USN. Donated by Mrs. E.H. Breland, 1979||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 103260.|
|70k||View on deck, taken while S-30 (SS-135) was in Subic Bay, off Olongapo Naval Station, Philippine Islands, in March 1929. Standing atop S-30's fairwater, wearing white clothing, is her Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Charles B. Hunt.||U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 50148.|
at Olongapo, Philippines, with six submarines alongside, in March 1929.
The submarines are (from front to rear):|
S-31 (SS-136), &
|U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 59967.|
|60k||S-30 (SS-135) alongside Alert (AS-4) at San Pedro, CA., circa 1930.||Courtesy of LT. Gary P. Priolo, USN Ret.|
|128k||Submarines at Olongapo Naval Station, Philippines.
Crewmen posing with a 4"/50 deck gun on board a S-boat, March 1929, with another 4"/50 in the foreground. These submarines are probably S-30 (SS-135) and S-31 (SS-136). |
Behind them are (from front to rear):
and S-34 (SS-139).
Photographed from Beaver (AS-5). In the background is Pittsburgh (CA-4), in the Dewey drydock.
|U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph # NH 51830.|
|20k||Commemorative post mark on the occasion of the
decommissioning of Submarine Divison 9 on 7 December 1937. The subs appearing are:
& S-35 (SS-140) .
|Courtesy of Jack Treutle.|
|58k||The photo is stamped on the back as having been printed 12 July 1938. I assume the pic was taken pretty close to that date.
Photo was small,1½ X 2½ inches so detail is about as good as it is going to get. Note "modern" sonar mounted atop the old "K-tube" sound gear.
Deck gun is a 4 inch 50. There are two sailor laying on the deck in the shade below the gun barrel their knees can be seen just below the muzzle. Topside watch is standing just at the aft end of the gun mount. Two men are next to the conning tower fairwater just to the right of the "S" painted on its side.
The sea plane has an "NA 7" painted on it and "US NAVY" painted under the rear wing.
|Photo courtesy of Ric Hedman.|
|NRk||New Ships Out of Old |
Ships of war and ships of commerce are coming out of long "storage" to ply the seven seas again as the war's terrific toll of tonnage skyrockets the demand. Along with the hundred or so reconditioned destroyers, half of which have gone to Britain, Uncle Sam also is "reclaiming" some World War submarines. Here are two, the S-26 (SS-131) (left) and S-30 (SS-135), paying a visit to the Washington Navy Yard on what might be called a second shake down cruise. Chief Mechanics Mate R. T. Corum says his block cocker spaniel, Toby, mascot of the S-30, was glad to see land after a sea-sick voyage.
|Image and text provided by Library of Congress, Washington, DC. |
Photo & text by Evening Star. [volume] (Washington, D.C.) 1854-1972, 15 December 1940, Image 127, courtesy of chroniclingamerica.loc.gov.
PDF added 07/15/18.
|292k||From left to right: S-30 (SS-135), S-32 (SS-137) & S-33 (SS-138) at the Panama Canal Zone, where they operated from December 1940 until April 1941.||USN photo courtesy of CTM Russel Rau, former COB of SS-238 Wahoo, submitted by Bill Rau & Paul Crozier.
Text courtesy of DANFS.
|73k|| An 1942 oil painting on board, by the artist William F. Draper entitled "Sub and Yippy Tie Up." |
In a quiet inlet of the Bering Sea in 1942, a YP boat gets a coat of paint and an S-boat ties up for fuel and provisions. The short Alaskan day is ending and lights may be seen in the barracks until total darkness requires a blackout.
The S-boats that served in the Aleutians theater were:
S-46 (SS-157), &
|Sub and Yippy Tie Up by William F. Draper.
Painting #13 / 88-189-N. Courtesy of the USNHC.
|1.00k||Parche (SS-384) with YF-312 and S-30 (SS-135) outboard at Mare Island between 19 and 23 October 1945. The submarine to the left of Parche's sail is either Plaice (SS-390), Tinosa (SS-283) or Queenfish (SS-393). The Nereus (AS-17) is just visible left of the Parche's periscope shears.||USN photo courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.|
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Submarine Index|
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster|
This page is created by Gary Priolo and maintained by Michael Mohl|
©1996 - 2018, NavSource History All rights reserved.