Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|30k||H-8 (SS-151) under construction at Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, WA. 1918.||USN photo courtesy of Ric Hedman.|
|401k||H-8 (SS-151) as U-98. This photo taken on 9 August 1919 shows a mixed group of H-8 crew and movie actors including Wallace Beery, (right center, second row), Jane Novak and Hobart Bosworth, (left center, second row), with the real Captain of the boat, Lt. Cooke is in his normal uniform (center front) as is CRM Harold Lintner, kneeling, 1st man, bottom row at left side of photo. A number of the crew are dressed as German sailors and worked as extras in the movie. This silent movie was called "Behind the Door".||Text via Ric Hedman.
USN photo courtesy of Scott Koen & ussnewyork.com.
|86k||H-8 (SS-151) on maneuvers, off San Pedro, 1918, where she was attached first to SubDivs 6 and 7. Operating with her sister ships, H-8 engaged in extensive battle and training exercises out of San Pedro, varying this routine with patrols off Santa Catalina Island. Note the ship's offficers in the conning tower and the crew on deck.||USN photo # 19-N-20293, from (NARA), courtesy of Daniel Dunham.
Text courtesy of DANFS.
|483k||L-5 (SS-44), H-8 (SS-151) & 2 unknown H-boats between 1919 & 1922.||USN photo courtesy of David Buell.|
|2.84k||Two views of an unidentified H boat at Johnson Wharf.||Photo i.d. courtesy of Ric Hedman.
Photos # CVA 260-80 & 260-94 courtesy of James Crookall via searcharchives.vancouver.ca courtesy of John Hummel.
Photos added 10/01/15.
|977k||Starting a 5,000-mile journey, which will end at their own graveyard,twelve H and L type submarines left the Navy base at San Pedro, CA, recently, bound for Hampton Roads, VA. through the Panama Canal. Upon arrival on the East coast they are to be decommissioned and cut up for scrap iron.|
Ten of the boats were:
|Image and text provided by University of Utah, Marriott Library.
Photo from The Lehi Sun. (Lehi, Utah) 1913-1949, 17 August 1922, Image 4, courtesy of chroniclingamerica.loc.gov.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Submarine Index|
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster|
This page is created by Gary Priolo and maintained by Michael Mohl|
©1996 - 2017, NavSource History All rights reserved.