Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|1.20k|| AA-2 (SS-60) at Fore River Ship Yard, 1 October 1921.
Note the submarine being built in the boat house above the docked AA-2. The last 3 S-boats being turned out there were S-44 (SS-155), S-46 (SS-157) & S-47 (SS-158); respectively laid down 14 January, 23 February & 26 February 1921.
|US National Archives photo # 19lc 1 from NARA, College Park, Maryland, courtesy of Sean Hert.|
|NR||All The News That Fit to Print (After it's been corrected).
New Submarine Takes to the Sea
The S-46 (SS-157), newest submarine of the U. S. Navy, as she slid down the ways at Fore River, Mass. after being christened by Grace Roosevelt, first grandchild of President Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States.
Mistaken boat listed by the newspaper. The S-47 (SS-158) is listed by the paper, however, she was launched 5 January 1924 & sponsored by Mrs. Morris D. Gilmore and all the facts except the right number of the boat make her the S-46.
|Text i.d. via John Spivey.
Insert image via yesterdaysprint.tumblr.com
Image and text provided by University of North Texas; Denton, TX.
Photo from Brownsville Herald. [volume] (Brownsville, Tex.) 1910-current, 17 September 1923, Image 1, via chroniclingamerica.loc.gov
|145k||Inboard alongside pier are the S-27 (SS-132), S-46 (SS-157) and S-29 (SS-134) at the Groton CT, Navy Yard, 2 January 1924.||USN photo # 19-N-10280, from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), courtesy of Daniel Dunham.|
|77k||Fleet submarines had to be far larger than their presecessors to reach higher speeds & to run greater distances. V-2 (SS-164) lies alongside S-46 (SS-157) at the sub base in Coco Solo in the Canal Zone, circa mid 1920's. In the background is the minesweeper Swan (AM-34). Note the big telescopic masts fore & aft, intended to raise the submarine's radio antennas and thus to increase her radio range.||Photo & text courtesy of U.S. Submarines Through 1945, An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman. Naval Institute Press.|
|270k||Typical of the last E.B.'s S-boats S-42-47 (SS-153-58) is shown as in 1924-25 (the date of final changes to the original plans is illegible). These boats were part of a second, redesigned series. They were lengthened enough to accomodate both the new 4in/50 gun & the gun access hatch shown (arrowed) forward of the conning tower fairwater (it is the main visual difference between these and earlier E.B. units).||Drawing & Text courtesy of U.S. Submarines Through 1945, An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman. Naval Institute Press.|
|199k||Port side view of the S-46 (SS-157), 1925.||USN photo courtesy of maritime.org.|
|1.72k||Control Force Employment Schedule, 4 January to 1 March 1926. US Fleet Problem Number VI.||Photo courtesy of Steve Ireland.|
|67k||S-46 (SS-157) leaving Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, en route to Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, CA., in April 1927. S-44 (SS-155) is in the foreground and the destroyer in the distance is Moody (DD-277).||USN photo # NH 42189, from the collections of the US Naval Historical Center|
|966k||S-46 (SS-157) off San Diego, California, circa the later 1920s. A fuel barge marked Star & Crescent Oil Co. // Associated Gasoline is beyond S-46's bow. A San Diego Consolidated Gas & Electric Company powerplant is in the center distance.||Image and text provided by NH-42190|
|128k||19th Submarine Division at San Diego, California, 28 July 1928, with officers and crewmen paraded on deck. Panoramic photograph, taken by O.A. Tunnell, 521 A St., San Diego. The first three submarines are (from inboard): S-46 (SS-157); S-42 (SS-153) and S-47 (SS-158). The other three are (in no order): S-43 (SS-154); S-44 (SS-155) and S-45 (SS-156).||Courtesy of Captain Gordon Peterson, USN. USN photo # NH 96624, now in the collections of the US National Archives|
|529k||Closeup view of the S-46's (SS-157) conning tower area, looking aft. Photo taken at Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, CA., during the 1920s. Note her bell, navigation lights and open hatch.||Text courtesy of photo # NH 72134, from the collections of the US Naval Historical Center.
Photo courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.
|199k||Port side view of the S-46 (SS-157) entering Pearl Harbor, circa 1930-35.||USN photo courtesy of Tai Ling Soo via ussubvetsofwwii.org.|
|327k||Submarine Division 11 is shown moored together here in this photograph, probably taken in 1936 at the Submarine Base in Coco Solo, Panama Canal Zone. Shown are the S-46 (SS-157), S-43 (SS-154), S-47 (SS-158), S-42 (SS-153), S-44 (SS-155), and S-45 (SS-156).||Photo i.d. & text courtesy of Dave Johnston, USNR.
USN photo courtesy of Scott Koen & ussnewyork.com.
|69k||CDR. Ralph Clinton Lynch Jr. assumed command of the S-46 (SS-157) in April, 1939. He continued duty as commanding officer after the outbreak of World War II, until 1942, participating in operations in the Southwest Pacific, Solomons and New Guinea area, and Rabaul and Lae areas.||Image from the San Diego Navy Historical Association courtesy of Bill Gonyo.|
|73k|| An 1942 oil painting on board, by the artist William F. Draper entitled "Sub and Yippy Tie Up." |
In a quiet inlet of the Bering Sea in 1942, a YP boat gets a coat of paint and an S-boat ties up for fuel and provisions. The short Alaskan day is ending and lights may be seen in the barracks until total darkness requires a blackout.
The S-boats that served in the Aleutians theater were:
S-46 (SS-157), &
|Sub and Yippy Tie Up by William F. Draper.
Painting #13 / 88-189-N. Courtesy of the USNHC.
|93k||S-46 (SS-157) is shown off the Atlantic Coast, 17 June 1943.||Photo & text courtesy of U.S. Submarines Through 1945, An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman. Naval Institute Press.|
|287k||S-46 (SS-157) circa WW II.||U.S. Navy photo courtesy of rearadmiralcrawford.org. via his son, Joseph Crawford.|
|761k||Lt. Crawford during commanded S-46 (SS-157) circa WW II.||U.S. Navy photo courtesy of rearadmiralcrawford.org. via his son, Joseph Crawford.|
|953k||In mid-September 1944, she moved north to Unalaska in the Aleutians. Based at Dutch Harbor, S-46 (SS-157) ranged westward into the Kurils during her last two war patrols, October - November 1943 and December 1943 - January 1944. During the first, she damaged an enemy oiler in the Paramushiro area; during the second, she was scoreless. On returning to Dutch Harbor after her last war patrol, she was assigned, with others of her class, to antisubmarine training activities. |
Her crew & her skipper (5th from left, I believe) appears above during that period.
|Text courtesy of DANFS.|
U.S. Navy photo courtesy of rearadmiralcrawford.org. via his son, Joseph Crawford.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Submarine Index|
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster|
This page is created by Gary Priolo and maintained by Michael Mohl|
All Pages © 1996 - 2021, NavSource History All rights reserved.