Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|588k||NEW SUBMARINE S-49 (SS-160) LAUNCHED LAST WEEK AT BRIDGEPORT, CONN.||Image and text provided by The New York Public Library, Astor, Lenox and Tilden Foundation.
Photo from The Evening World.(New York, N.Y.) 1887-1931, 26 April 1921, Wall Street Final Edition, Image 21, via chroniclingamerica.loc.gov.
|163k||S-49 (SS-160) was a Lake-built government-type S-boat, modified while under construction to incorporate a single after torpedo tube. Note also the gun access trunk forward of the conning tower fairwater, which replaced the ready ammunition stowage of the first series of "government" S-boats. She was lengthened to 240 feet to provide both a maneuvering room & a torpedo room aft. Displacement increased from 876 tons (surfaced) / 1092 (submerged) to 903/1230.
Note the blister of the passive MV system forward, just under the circular patch of her Fessenden oscillator. Also note the separate maneuvering room inserted between the engine room & the after torpedo room, above the motors.
The entire battery is forward, under the space between the forward torpedo room and the control room. Note the kinked (discontinuous) pressure hull, with large diameter sections at the ends, which require heavier & more elaborate structure to support it.
|Drawing by Jim Christley.
Text courtesy of U.S. Submarines Through 1945, An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman. Naval Institute Press.
|49k||Reginald Fessenden and his electric oscillator.||Photo courtesy of photolib.noaa.gov., courtesy of oceanexplorer.noaa.gov.|
|134k||PDF entitled "How the Diesel engine came to America."||Photo courtesy of subvetpaul.com.|
|651k||How antennae is gradually being eliminated. Above, submarine S-49 (SS-160) with low aerial.||Image and text provided by University of Utah, Marriott Library.
Photo from The Ogden Standard-Examiner. (Ogden, Utah) 1920-current, 26 April 1922, LAST EDITION - 4 P. M., Image 2, via chroniclingamerica.loc.gov.
|578k||Commissioned at Bridgeport, S-49 (SS-160) remained there through July, and, in August, moved down to the Submarine Base at New London where she joined Submarine Division Zero, composed of units engaged in submarine research and development. Later reassigned to Division 4 and then to Division 2, she continued experimental work, including aerial visibility tests and torpedo development, and also participated in regularly scheduled exercises, primarily in the New London area, into 1926.
S-49 with decks awash on 14 August 1923.
|Text courtesy of DANFS.|
USN photo # 80-CF-WT-779, from National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), College Park, Maryland, courtesy of Sean Hert.
|115k||S-49 (SS-160) underway, circa Winter 1925, note ice covering the clearing lines.||USN photo from DANFS contributed by Joe Radigan, MACM, USN Ret.|
|100k||S-49 (SS-160) starboard view underway, January 1926 possibly off New London CT, or Portsmouth, NH.||USN photo # 80-G-1025021, from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), courtesy of Daniel Dunham.|
|191k||Commemorative photo honoring the memory of the crew of the S-49 (SS-160), 20 April 1926.||Photo courtesy of Raymond Fritz. ET1(SS).|
|1.72k||Control Force Employment Schedule, 4 January to 1 March 1926. US Fleet Problem Number VI.||Photo courtesy of Steve Ireland.|
|153k||Starboard view of the S-49 (SS-160) in 1927.||USN photo courtesy of Ric Hedman / email@example.com|
|530k||View of submarine S-49 (SS-160) at the Philadelphia Naval Yard, 5 April 1927.
"These submarines have probably made their last sea trip. The "Sub" S-49, with part of her conning tower and after deck showing, is seen at lower right, and the "Sub" S-50 (SS-161), airing her flags, at the end of Pier 3, Philadelphia Navy Yard. They arrived last week from New London, Conn. They are sister craft of the S-51 (SS-162) which was rammed and sunk by a steamer at night off Block Island in September, 1925, with the loss of thirty-three members of its crew. The new arrivals will be put out of commission. One of the Navy Yard's huge traveling cranes is showing in upper left of photograph."
|Photo courtesy of the George D. McDowell Philadelphia Evening Bulletin Photographs @ digital.library.temple.edu|
Photo added 09/15/17.
|498k||5 Undated views of S-49 (SS-160) underway.||Source: US Naval History Heritage and Command, Photo # NH 1374 & NH 108462 / 108465 via Mike Green.|
|791k||S-49 (SS-160), privately owned sub open to the public at Point-o-Pines in Revere, August 1931.||Photo courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection via Sean Hert & flickr.com.|
|39k||S-49 (SS-160) as a attraction at the Great Lakes Exposition 1936. The "C" on the bow is to identify the submarine as a "Civilian" vessel. She was reputed to have been painted yellow as well.||USN photo & text courtesy of Ric Hedman / firstname.lastname@example.org|
|1.14k||Watermarked S-49 (SS-160), 29 January 1936 at Chicago Expo.||Photo courtesy of Ron Reeves.|
|269k||The S-49 (SS-160) at the Great Lakes Exposition in 1936 & 1937.||Photo courtesy of Tommy Trampp & worldsfaircommunity.org.|
|188k||The Central Operating Compartment of the S-49 (SS-160).||Photo courtesy of Tommy Trampp.|
|174k||The Engine Room of the S-49 (SS-160).||Photo courtesy of Tommy Trampp.|
|182k||The Torpedo Room of the S-49 (SS-160).||Photo courtesy of Tommy Trampp.|
|676k||26 APRIL 1938: Submarine which cost $2;500;000 visits Toronto. Capt. Francis J Chrestensen arrived in Toronto yesterday aboard his one-time U.S. navy submarine; and his wife arrived by automobile. He admitted he didn't know anything about underwater craft until he bought his own. She insists she'll never know about them; follows him everywhere by car. The submarine cruised across Lake Ontario yesterday to come to rest at the foot of York St.; where it was welcomed by this crowd. It cost $2;500;000 when it was constructed 17 years ago. The 240-foot submarine was commissioned by the U.S. under the London naval agreement. It was once able to fire $6;500 torpedoes from four tubes. Should Capt. Chrestensen take it into his head his ship could go down 300 feet below the surface with ease.||Photo i.d. courtesy of Ric Hedman.
Photo by Toronto Star Archives/Toronto Star via Getty Images, courtesy of gettyimages.com.
|116k||S-49 (SS-160) on the Delaware River, 1939.||Photo courtesy of David A. Boone.|
|84k||Two views of the wreck:
15 December 2006 side-scan of the S-49 (SS-160) looking downwards; one can see the very distinct shadow effect - and the conning tower of the sub. & 11 December 2011.
|Photo courtesy of Jeff Morris and Steve Bilicki from Azulmar Research, LLC. |
Text courtesy of Dr. Douglas Camp. & tidalfish.com
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Submarine Index|
Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster|
This page is created by Gary Priolo and maintained by Michael Mohl|
©1996 - 2017, NavSource History All rights reserved.