Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster.
Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|17k||Postal cover marking the keel laying of the Hoe (SS-258), 2 January 1942, at the Electric Boat Co., Groton, CT.||Courtesy of Jack Treutle.|
|68k||Postal cover marking the launching of the Hoe (SS-258) on 17 September 1942 at Electric Boat.||Courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.|
|22k||Postal cover marking Hoe's (SS-258) first day in commission, 16 December 1942.||Courtesy of Jack Treutle.|
|17k||Postal cover marking Hoe's (SS-258) first day in commission, 16 December 1942.||Courtesy of Jack Treutle.|
|79k||Hoe (SS-258) underway, 16 February 1943.||USN photo from "U.S. Warships of World War Two". Courtesy of Mike Green.|
|460k||Meet the XO and CO of the newly re-commissioned Fulton (AS-11). The photo was taken at Mare Island on 10 April 1951. To the right is XO CDR Thomas H. Kimmel and left is the CO Capt. Victor B. McCrea. Both had interesting WWII experience: Capt. McCrea earned the Navy Cross as CO of the Hoe (SS-258) from 1/26/44 to 3/5/44 during her third war patrol. CDR Kimmel earned the Bronze Star with “V” as XO of the Bergall (SS-320) from 9/8/44 to 11/8/44. He later commands Bergall from 9/17/45 to 3/20/48.||Photo courtesy of Vallejo Naval and Historical Museum via Darryl L. Baker.|
|227k||Broadside view of Hoe (SS-258) off Mare Island on 20 June 1945. She was in overhaul at the yard from 14 April to 5 July 1945.||USN photo # 4672-45, courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.|
|368k||Broadside view of Hoe (SS-258) departing Mare Island on 20 June 1945.||USN photo # 4671-45, courtesy of John Hummel.|
|168k||Stern view of Hoe (SS-258) departing Mare Island on 20 June 1945.||USN photo # 4670-45, courtesy of Darryl L. Baker.|
|105k||At Mare Island on 20 June 1945, Hoe (SS-258) displays two typical main late-war submarine sonars. The JT line array (left) and a topside WCA in its spherical dome (right). At the end of the war, both were being replaced by the vertical cylindrical dome of the new WFA integrated sonar.||USN Archives photo # 19-N85964. Photo and text courtesy of U.S. Submarines Through 1945, An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman. Naval Institute Press.|
|120k||The Hoe (SS-258) at Mare Island, on 20 June 1945 has just finished her overhaul and sports a new outfit. Her SD radar has been replaced with the new SV antenna and a new hydrophone has been installed.||USN Archives photo # 19-N85964. Photo and text courtesy of The Floating Drydock, "Fleet Subs of WW II", by Thomas F. Walkowiak.|
|120k||Hoe (SS-258) loading torpedoes from sub tender.||Courtesy of John Hummel.|
|101k||Hoe (SS-258), and Plunger (SS-179) appear in this 1956 photo at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, facing out into the East River toward the Williamsburg Bridge which can be seen in the right of the photo. The structures on the left appear to be the ship building ways.||Photo courtesy of Ric Hedman TN(SS). Text courtesy of Art Cappabianca.|
The aircraft carrier Enterprise (CV-6) at the Brooklyn Navy yard, 22 June 1958, shortly before they started scrapping her by first cutting off her tripod mast — she was sold for scrapping 10 days later, on 2 July.
The carrier on the opposite side of the pier is Independence (CVA-62) nearing completion. Ships visible in the left foreground include (from front): DeLong (DE-684), Coates (DE-685) and Hoe (SS-258). Ten other destroyers are also present, as is a "Liberty" type ship.
The F. & M. Schaefer brewery is visible in the center background — the longest and last operating brewery in New York City (when it was closed in 1976), and America's oldest lager beer brewing company.
|Photo courtesy of Steve Whitby via Fabio Peña.|
|365k||This plaque was unveiled 20 March 1995 by His Excellency Major General P.M. Jeffery OA MC, Govenor of Western Australia to commemeorate the sacrifices made by Allied submarined that operated out of Fremantle, Western Australia during WW II.||Photo courtesy of Ron Reeves.|
Photo added 02/06/16.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Submarine Index|
|Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster|
|This page was created and maintained by Michael Mohl|
©1996 - 2016, NavSource History All rights reserved.