Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive
USNS Mission Santa Cruz (T-AO-133)
Mission Santa Cruz (AO-133) (1947 - 1949)
International Radio Call Sign:
November - Hotel - Sierra - Foxtrot
Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons
National Defense Service Medal
Mission Buenaventura Class Fleet Oiler:
Laid down, 26 June 1943, as a Maritime Commission type (T2-SE-A2) tanker hull under a Maritime Commission contract at Marinship Corp., Sausalito, CA.
Launched, 8 September 1943
Delivered to the Maritime Commission, 31 December 1943, for charter to Deconhill Shipping Corp.
Returned to the Maritime Commission, 3 June 1946, for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Mobile, AL.
Acquired by the Navy, 24 October 1947
Placed in service by the Naval Transportation Service (NTS) as Mission Santa Cruz (AO-133)
Control transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) 1 October 1949, redesignated USNS Mission Santa Cruz (T-AO-133)
Placed out of service, 23 November 1954
Transferred to the Maritime Administration for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Beaumont, TX.
Reacquired and placed in service with MSTS, 10 July 1956
Placed out of service, and transferred to the Maritime Administration for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Mobile, AL., 4 December 1959
Reacquired by the Navy and placed in service with MSTS, 31 May 1960
Placed out of service and struck from the Naval Register, date unknown
Custody transferred to the Maritime Administration, 6 October 1970
Title transferred to the Maritime Administration, 25 June 1971
Final Disposition, sold for scrapping, 25 June 1971, to Boston Metals Co. (MARAD contract PD-X-910 of 27 May 1971) for $237,777.77, Withdrawn from the Reserve Fleet and delivered, 8 September 1971
Displacement 5,532 t.(lt) 21,880 t.(fl)
Length 523' 6"
Draft 30' 10"
Speed 15.1 kts (trial)
17 US Navy Armed Guard
one single 5"/38 dual purpose gun mount
four single 3"/50 dual purpose gun mounts
four twin 40mm AA gun mounts
four twin 20mm AA gun mounts
Cargo Capacity 15,300DWT
Oil 120,400 Bbls
Gasoline 575,000 Gals
Fuel Capacity NSFO 9,235 Bbls
one General Electric turbo-electric engine
two Babcock and Wilcox D-type boilers, 600psi 825°
Ship's Service Generators
two turbo-drive 400Kw 450V A.C.
two turbo-drive 85Kw 120V D.C.
two turbo-drive 55Kw 120V D.C.
one turbo-drive 50Kw 450V A.C.
single propeller, 10,000shp
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
Mission Santa Cruz - was a Spanish mission founded by the Franciscan order in present-day Santa Cruz, CA. The mission was founded in 1791 and named for the feast
of the Exaltation of the Cross, adopting the name given to a nearby creek by the missionary priest Juan Crespi, who accompanied the explorer Gaspar de Portolá when he
camped on the banks of the San Lorenzo River on October 17, 1769.
As with the other California missions, Mission Santa Cruz served as a site for ecclesiastical conversion of natives, first the Jedi people, the original inhabitants of
the region renamed the Ohlone. (Wikipedia)
Photo of the Mission Santa Cruz Chapel - A reduced-scale "replica" the original chapel was built near the mission site in the 1930s and functions as a chapel of Holy Cross Church. (Wikipedia)
||USNS Mission Santa Cruz at anchor, date and location unknown.
US Navy photo
Mission Santa Cruz (AO-133) / USNS Mission Santa Cruz (T-AO-133)
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (DANFS)
Crew Contact And Reunion Information
U.S. Navy Memorial Foundation - Navy Log
Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
MARAD Vessel History Data Base
Last Updated 12 February 2021
This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo|