Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive

USNS Carthage (T-AG-185)


  • Laid down, 30 March 1945, as SS American Victory, a Maritime Commission type (VC2-S-AP2) hull under Maritime Commission contract (MCV hull 792) at Permanente Metals Yard No. 2, Richmond, CA.
  • Launched, 24 May 1945
  • Delivered to the Maritime Commission, War Shipping Administration, 20 June 1945, under General Agency Agreement to Hammond Shipping Co. LTD., at Los Angeles, CA.
  • Bare bottom chartered,29 June 1946, to American Export Lines, Inc., at New York, N.Y.
  • To Boland and Cornelius under General Agency Agreement, 27 November 1947, at New York
  • Returned to the Maritime Commission, 19 December 1947, for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Hudson River Group
  • General Agency Agreement to U.S. Navigation Co., 15 February 1951, at the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Hudson River Group
  • Bare bottom chartered, 19 March 1951, to U.S. Navigation Co., at New York, N.Y.
  • General Agency Agreement to U.S. Navigation Co., 21 February 1952, at Mobile, AL.
  • general Agency Agreement to Dichmann, Wright and Pugh Inc., 30 December 1952, at San Francisco, CA.
  • Returned to the Maritime Administration, 6 January 1954, for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Beaumont, TX.
  • Withdrawn from reserve and refurbished (FRAM) at a cost of $2.5 million
  • Scheduled to be acquired by the US Navy in February 1966 for conversion to a Forward Depot Ship, the forerunner of the Fast Deployment Logistic Ships
  • Renamed USNS Carthage (T-AG-185) and placed in service with the Military Sea Transport Service, date unknown
  • Of all the ships designated for the Forward Depot Ship program only Carthage was ever assigned a crew and she logged just 26 hours of at-sea time before once again being returned to mothballs. The FRAM results were not impressive as age had taken a toll on the Victories, which were originally only intended as semi-disposable ships for the duration of WWII.
  • Program canceled, 1 February 1966
  • GAA contract to Hudson Waterways, Corp., 19 July 1966, at Beaumont, TX. for operational control of the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS)
  • Returned to the Maritime Administration, 19 January 1970, for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River Group, Lee Hall, VA.
  • Final Disposition, converted to a museum ship at Tampa, FL., name reverted to SS American Victory
    Specifications:
    Displacement
    As Built 4,512 t.(lt) 15,589 t.(fl)
    FRAM 10,075 t. standard, 13,000 full load
    Length 455' 2"
    Beam 62' 28"
    Draft 29'
    Complement (post FRAM), 6 USN, 56 civilian MSC)
    Speed 16.5 kts. Range 23,500NM@ 16kts.
    Propulsion
    two 399C boilers
    two Allis-Chalmers 6000H cross compound steam turbine
    two Falk Milwaukee reduction gears
    single schaft w/non CP prop

    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Contributed
    By
    Carthage 91k SS American Victory moored at Tampa, FL., date unknown.
    Photo courtesy HAER Maritime Recording Project staff
    Robert Hurst
    Carthage 68k SS American Victory moored at Tampa, FL., date unknown Derick S. Hartshorn
    Carthage 275k Starboard side view of the museum ship SS American Victory moored pierside at Tampa, Florida's Channel District, 13 December 2010.
    Photo taken by Akjameson 1 (real unknown).
    Robert Hurst

    There is no DANFS history for USNS Carthage (T-AG-185) available at NavSource
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    SS American Victory Mariners Museum
    Back To the Navsource Photo Archives Main Page Back To The Service Ship Photo Index Back To The Miscellaneous Auxiliary (AG) Ship Photo Index
    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
    This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History
    Last Updated 26 May 2017