Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
NavSource Online: "Old Navy" Ship Photo Archive
Built as th merchant ship Adriana in 1795 at Baltimore, MD.
Acquired by the Navy, 3 May 1798, through funds donated by the citizens of Baltimore
Renamed Baltimore, 29 June 1798
Commissioned Baltimore, summer 1798, CAPT. Isaac Phillips in command
Baltimore was almost immediately pressed into service to protect American merchant shipping in the Caribbean against pirates and French warships and
privateers in what would become known as the Quasi-War with France
She joined Constellation in September sailing to Havana to
escort a large convoy of American merchantmen to the United States
The convoy of 40 merchantmen departed Havana, 29 September completing the journey without incident
Baltimore then escorted a Charleston to Havana convoy in late October encountering a British squadron on 16 November
Capt. Phillips in Baltimore ordered the ships of the convoy to scatter and make it into Havana as best they could while he diverted the British
Phillips went on board the British flagship at the invitation of the squadron commodore learning that the British intended to impress Baltimore crewmen
When he arrived back on board Baltimore, he found a British officer mustering his crew for inspection and impressment
Capt. Phillips allowed the British officer to take off 55 members of his crew, all but 5 crew members were returned
Baltimore continued on to Havana where she gathered a return convoy which reached the US in late December 1798
For allowing such a flagrant violation of American sovereignty CAPT. Phillips was summarily dismissed from the Navy on 10 January 1799
Baltimore returned to convoy duty with her first lieutenant, Josias M. Speake in temporary command until Capt. Samuel Barron assumed command
Baltimore continued to cruise the West Indies in search of French privateers through the spring and summer of 1800
The ship returned to Baltimore in mid-November 1800 where she was made ready for disposal
She was sold to the city of Baltimore sometime in 1801
Displacement 422 t.
Length 103' 9"
Beam 30' 8"
Depth of Hold unknown
|Click On Image |
For Full Size Image
|There are no images of Baltimore (II) available at Navsource
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (DANFS)
Last Updated 16 September 2016
This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo|