Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online: Amphibious Photo Archive

USS Duplin (AKA-87)


International Radio Call Sign:
November - Hotel - Juliet - Tango
NHJT
Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons


Precedence of awards is from top to bottom, left to right
Top Row - American Campaign Medal - Europe, Africa, Middle East Campaign Medal
Bottom Row - Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal - World War II Victory Medal - Navy Occupation Service Medal (with Asia clasp)


Achernar Class Attack Cargo Ship:
  • Laid down, date unknown, as a Maritime Commission type (C2-S-AJ3) hull, under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1401) at North Carolina Shipbuilding Corp. Wilmington, N.C.
  • Launched, 17 October 1944
  • Acquired by the US Navy, 30 October 1944, from the Maritime Commission, and towed to her conversion yard, Key Highway Plant, Bethlehem Steel Plant, Baltimore, MD.
  • Commissioned USS Duplin (AKA-87), 15 May 1945, at Baltimore, MD., CDR. Herbert Byron Fluck, USNR, in command
  • During World War II USS Duplin was assigned initially to the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theater and subsequently to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater
  • Following World War II USS Duplin was assigned to Occupation service in the Far East for the following periods:

    Navy Occupation Service Medal
    1 to 10 November 1945
    13 January to 8 February 1946

  • Decommissioned, 21 May 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register, 5 June 1946
  • Returned to the Maritime Commission, 23 May 1946, for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River Group, Lee Hall, VA.
  • Merchant Service
    Sold, 23 June 1947, to A.H. Bull and Co., renamed SS Kathryn
    Sold, 18 September 1962, (US Marshal's sale) to National Maritime Leasing Co.
    Sold, 11 April 1963, to Dearborn Shipping Corp., renamed SS Dearborn
    Sold, 18 September 1963, to Rio Grande Transport Inc., renamed SS Rio Grande
    Maritime Administration (title exchange), 27 October 1964
    Chartered by Bulk Transport Inc., 27 October 1964
    Leased under GAA agreement, 20 October 1965, to Bulk Transport Inc., (MSC operations)
  • Laid up, 28 September 1967, in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, Benecia, CA.
  • Final Disposition, sold for scrapping, 6 January 1971, to American Ship Dismantlers, delivered, 20 January 1971
    Specifications:
    Displacement 6,556 t.(lt) 14,100 t.(fl)
    Length 459' 2"
    Beam 63'
    Draft 26' 4"
    Speed 16.5 kts.
    Complement
    Officers 38
    Enlisted 387
    Largest Boom Capacity 35 t.
    Cargo Capacity 5,275 DWT
    non-refrigerated 380,000 Cu ft.
    Armament
    one single 5"/38 cal dual purpose gun mount
    four twin 40mm AA gun mounts
    eighteen single 20mm AA gun mounts
    Boats
    eight LCMs
    one LCP(L)
    fifteen LCVPs
    Fuel Capacity
    NSFO 10,425 Bbls
    Diesel 805 Bbls
    Propulsion
    one General Electric steam turbine
    two Foster Wheeler header-type boilers, 450psi, 750°
    double General Electric Main Reduction Gears
    three turbo-drive 300Kw 120V/240V D.C. Ship's Service Generators
    single propeller, 6,000shp

    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Contributed
    By
    Duplin 19k USS Duplin (AKA-87) moored pierside, date and location unknown. Russ Padden courtesy Tom Crew

    USS Duplin (AKA-87)
    DANFS history entry located at the US Naval History and Heritage Command
    Crew Contact And Reunion Information
    U.S. Navy Memorial Foundation - Navy Log

    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    MARAD Vessel History Database
    AKA 87 USS Duplin at Amphibious Ships (GATORS)
    Back To The Navsource Photo Archives Main Page Back To The Amphibious Ship Type Index Back To The Amphibious Cargo Ship (AKA) Photo Index
    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
    This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History
    Last Updated 18 April 2014