Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online: Amphibious Photo Archive

HM LCH-269
(Headquarters Ship)


LCI(L)-269 was transferred to the Royal Navy in 1943 for the duration of WWII
LCI-1 Class Landing Craft Infantry (Large):
  • Laid down, in January 1943 at New Jersey Shipbuilding Corp., Barber, N.J.
  • Launched in January 1943
  • Delivered, 22 January 1943 and transferred to the Royal Navy under Lend-Lease
  • Commissioned, HM LCH-269
  • During World War II HM LCH(L)-269 was assigned to the Europe-Africa Middle East Theater and participated in the following campaign:
    Europe-Africa-Middle East Campaigns
    HM LCI(L)-250
    Campaign and Dates
    Salerno landings, 9 to 21 September 1943
  • Returned to US Naval custody, 20 March 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register, 8 May 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal
  • Sold 28 January 1948
  • Final Disposition, hull abandoned new Atlantic City, N.J.
    Specifications:
    Displacement 236 t.(light), 264 t.(landing), 419 t.(loaded)
    Length 158' 5½"
    Beam 23' 3"
    Draft
    Light, 3'1½" mean
    Landing, 2' 8" forward, 4' 10" aft
    Loaded, 5' 4" forward, 5' 11" aft
    Speed
    16 kts (max.)
    14 kts maximum continuous
    Complement
    4 officers
    24 enlisted
    Troop Capacity
    6 officers
    182 enlisted
    Cargo Capacity 75 tons
    Armor 2" plastic splinter protection on gun turrets, conning tower and pilot house
    Endurance 4,000 miles at 12 kts, loaded, 500 miles at 15 knots; and 110 tons of fuel
    Armament
    five single 20mm guns, one bow mounted, one each port and starboard forward of wheelhouse, one each port and starboard aft of wheelhouse
    on some LCIs two .50 cal machine guns were added
    Fuel Capacity
    Diesel 860 Bbls
    lube oil 200 gal
    Propulsion
    two sets of 4 General Motors 6051 series 71 Diesel engines, 4 per shaft
    single General Motors Main reduction gears
    two Diesel-drive 30Kw 120V D.C. Ship's Service Generators
    twin variable pitch propellers, 2,320shp

    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Contributed
    By
    LCI(L)-269 61k HM LCH-269 and HM LCI-250 off Salerno in September, 1943. The ships are carrying US Sappers and are heading to shore for landings just south of Naples.
    Imperial War Museum Admiralty Official Collection, by Roper, F.G. (Lt), Photo No. IWM (A 19150)
    Mike Green
    LCI(L)-269 75k HM LCH-269 beached at Poole Harbor, England in late October, 1944. Royal Marine Commandos and the landing craft of Support Squadron Eastern Flank (SSEF) parade before the assault on Walchren Island.
    Photo courtesy Petty Officer Motor Mechanic Basil Woolf, RN, HM LCH-269 and the USS Landing Craft Infantry National Association
    Ardie Hunt
    LCI(L)-269 52k HM LCH-269 off Walchren Island, October 1944. In the background the smoke from the shore bombardment is clearly visible. Basil Woolf, RN HM LCH-269

    Back To The Navsource Photo Archives Main Page Back To The Amphibious Ship Type Index Back To The Landing Craft Infantry (LCI) Photo Index
    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
    This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History
    Last Updated 5 August 2016