Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
NavSource Online: Amphibious Photo Archive
LCI-351 Class Landing Craft Infantry (Large):
Laid down in 1943 at George Lawley & Sons, Neponset, MA.
Launched, in 1943
LCI(L)-379 saw no active service with the US Navy
Transferred under the Lend-lease program to the United Kingdom, 31 October 1943 and commissioned HM LCI(L)-379
During World War II HM LCI(L)-379 was assigned to the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theater and participated in the Invasion of Normandy, Sword Beach landing elements of the British 3rd Division, 0800, 6 June 1944
Returned to US Naval custody, 27 March 1946
Struck from the Naval Register, date unknown
Transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal
Final Disposal, sold 18 March 1947, fate unknown
Displacement 236 t.(light), 264 t.(landing), 419 t.(loaded)
Length 158' 5½"
Beam 23' 3"
Light, 3'1½" mean
Landing, 2' 8" forward, 4' 10" aft
Loaded, 5' 4" forward, 5' 11" aft
16 kts (max.)
14 kts maximum continuous
Cargo Capacity 75 tons
Armor 2" plastic splinter protection on gun turrets, conning tower and pilot house
Endurance 4,000 miles at 12 kts, loaded, 500 miles at 15 knots; and 110 tons of fuel
five single 20mm guns, one bow mounted, one each port and starboard forward of wheelhouse, one each port and starboard aft of wheelhouse
on some LCIs two .50 cal machine guns were added
Diesel 860 Bbls
lube oil 200 gal
two sets of 4 General Motors 6051 series 71 Diesel engines, 4 per shaft
single General Motors Main reduction gears
two Diesel-drive 30Kw 120V D.C. Ship's Service Generators
twin variable pitch propellers, 2,320shp
|Click On Image
For Full Size Image
||HM LCI(L)-379 under way off Ostend in June 1944.
||P. Dugan Wireman LC D/MX 103725 HM LCI(L)-379
||HM LCI(L)-379 passes the British hospital ship HMHS St Julien which is loading wounded soldiers from a Mulberry Harbor pierhead at Arromanches, Normandy in July 1944.
Last Updated 16 June 2017
This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo|