LST-374 was laid down on 12 November 1942 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 19 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Victor D. Herbster; and commissioned on 29 January 1943.
During World War II, LST-374 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Sicilian occupation in July and August 1943 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 May 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946. On 14 January 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to A. G. Schoonmaker.
LST-374 (q.v.) was renamed Minerva and reclassified ARL-47 on 29 May 1945 following her decommissioning the same day. On 30 May she began conversion to a landing craft repair ship at Maryland Drydock Co., Baltimore, Md. The conversion was canceled 11 September 1945, and she was reclassified LST-374. She was towed to Norfolk, Va., 12 October; stripped of Navy equipment; and declared surplus 26 November. Her name was struck from the Navy list 12 March 1946. Her bulk was sold to A. G. Schoonmaker 14 January 1947.
LST-374 earned two battle stars for World War II service.