Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Bullfinch (AM 66)



Call sign:
Nan - Easy - Baker - Yoke

Bullfinch Class Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 22 May 1937 as the M/V Villanova by Bath Iron Works, Bath, ME for F. J. O'Hara and Sons, Inc., Boston, MA (The last trawler built at Bath Iron Works for a United States owner)
  • Launched 21 October 1937
  • Delivered 1 November 1937
  • Acquired by the Navy 6 August 1940
  • Renamed Bullfinch 14 August 1940
  • Commissioned in ordinary, 16 August 1940 and started conversion to a Minesweeper at the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, VA
  • Placed in full commission as USS Bullfinch (AM 66), 22 October 1940
  • Conversion completed 22 April 1941
  • Decommissioned, 15 September 1944
  • Struck from the Navy Register 23 September 1944
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 28 August 1945
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 516 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24'
  • Draft 11' 2"
  • Speed 10 kts.
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount and two .50 cal. machine guns
  • Propulsion: One 700hp Fairbanks Morse diesel engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    USS Bullfinch (AM 66)
    Bullfinch 83k . Russ Padden
    Bullfinch 136k USS Cardinal (AM-67), inboard, and Bullfinch, outboard at the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, 31 October 1941. Note these minesweepers' dark paint scheme, with large white hull numbers and mine force insignia on their bows. Both have been fitted with 3"/50 deck guns.
    National Archives photo 19-N-25946
    Naval Historical Center
    Bullfinch 79k c. 1943
    U.S. Navy photo
    Joe Radigan
    Bullfinch 74k 30 May 1943 Original photo: Gunter Krebs
    Replacement photo: Robert Hurst
    ex-Bullfinch
    Bullfinch 222k On the marine railway at the John H. Mathis Co,, Camden, N.J. Shipyard, in the autumn of 1945 being converted for return to merchant service
    Photos from Independence Seaport Museum, John Mathis collection (For educational and non-commercial use)
    John Chiquoine
    Bullfinch 165k
    Bullfinch 155k

    Commanding Officers
    01LT John Alden Webster, USN22 October 1940 - December 1941
    02LCDR Franklyn King Zinn, USN1943
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler and Ron Reeves

    View the Bullfinch (AM 66)
    DANFS History entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Website
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association
    Association of Minemen
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Minesweeper (AM) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History