Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Magnet (AM 260)



Call sign:
November - Golf - Tango - Whiskey


Magnet served the Navies of the United States and the Republic of China.

Admirable Class Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 13 March 1943 by the American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, OH
  • Launched 5 June 1943
  • Commissioned USS Magnet (AM 260), 10 March 1944
  • Decommissioned, 28 August 1945 at Miami, FL, transferred to the Republic of China and renamed Yung Shun (MSF 46)
  • Transferred outright to the Republic of China 7 February 1948
  • Struck from the Naval Register 12 March 1948
  • Removed from service in 1963 and believed scrapped.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 945 t. (fl)
  • Length 184' 6"
  • Beam 33'
  • Draft 9' 9"
  • Speed 14.8 kts.
  • Complement 104
  • Armament: One 3"/50 cal. dual purpose mount, one twin 40mm gun mount, six 20mm gun mounts, one depth charge projector (hedgehogs), four depth charge projectors (K-guns), and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,710shp Cooper Bessemer GSB-8 diesel engines, National Supply Co. single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of Magnet (AM 260) is available at this time

    Commanding Officers
    01LT Herbert Albert Babione, USNR10 March 1944 - 28 August 1945
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler, Ron Reeves and R. A. Moody

    View the Magnet (AM 260)
    DANFS History entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Website
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association
    Association of Minemen
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Minesweeper (AM) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History