Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Pinnacle (AM 274)



Call sign:
Nan - Peter - William - Sugar


Pinnacle served the Navies of the United States and the Republic of China.

Admirable Class Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 1 February 1943 at Gulf Shipbuilding Corp., Chickasaw, AL
  • Launched 11 September 1943
  • Commissioned USS Pinnacle (AM 274), 24 May 1944
  • Decommissioned 9 October 1946 at Sasebo, Japan and laid up in reserve
  • Transferred 15 June 1948 to the Nationalist Chinese Navy and renamed Yung Hsiu (MSF 48)
  • Decommissioned and struck from the Chinese Naval list in July 1972
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 945 t. (fl)
  • Length 184' 6"
  • Beam 33'
  • Draft 9' 9"
  • Speed 14.8 kts.
  • Complement 104
  • Armament: One 3"/50 cal. dual purpose mount, one twin 40mm gun mount, six 20mm gun mounts, one depth charge projector (hedgehogs), four depth charge projectors (K-guns), and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 855shp Cooper Bessemer GSB-8 diesel engines, National Supply Co. single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    MSF-48 12k Yung Hsiu (MSF 48) Chinese Navy

    Commanding Officers
    01LT Joseph Barry Williams, USNR24 May 1944 - 10 November 1945
    02LT Stanley Jaworski, USNR10 November 1945 -9 October 1946
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler, Ron Reeves and R. A. Moody

    View the Pinnacle (AM 274)
    DANFS History entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Website
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association
    Association of Minemen
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Minesweeper (AM) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History