Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Graylag (MSF 364)

Call sign:
November - Hotel - Zulu - Hotel

Admirable Class Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 15 July 1943 by the Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, OR
  • Launched 4 December 1943
  • Commissioned USS Graylag (AM 364), 31 August 1945
    Naval Vessel Register of 1 January 1949 lists plan for decommissioning and placing in reserve as December 1945
  • Decommissioned 12 August 1946 at Orange, TX
  • Reclassified as a Fleet Minesweeper (Steel Hull), MSF-364, 7 February 1955
  • Struck from the Naval Register 1 October 1967 and sold for scrap.


  • Displacement 945 t.
  • Length 184' 6"
  • Beam 33'
  • Draft 9' 9"
  • Speed 14.8 kts.
  • Complement 104
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two twin 40mm gun mounts, six 20mm gun mounts, one depth charge projector (hedgehog), four depth charge projectors (k-guns), and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 855shp Busch Sulzer 539 diesel engines, Farrel Birmingham single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of Graylag (MSF 364) is available at this time

    Commanding Officers
    01LCDR Samuel Morton Janney, Jr., USNR31 August 1945 - 31 May 1946
    02LT Harold Francis Johnson, Jr., USNR31 May 1946 - 12 August 1946
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler, Ron Reeves and R. A. Moody

    View the Graylag (MSF 364)
    DANFS History entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Website
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association
    Association of Minemen
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Fleet Minesweeper (MSF) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History