Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Firecrest (AMc 33)



Call sign:
Nan - Able - Dog - Oboe



Coastal Minesweeper:

  • The first Firecrest was built in 1937 as S. G. Giuseppe by Trigoning and Carlson Boatbuilders, Wilmington, CA
  • Acquired by the Navy 14 November 1940 from M. B. Guiseppe of San Pedro, CA
  • Converted to a Coastal Minesweeper at the Campbell Machine Co. of San Diego, CA
  • Placed in service as USS Firecrest (AMc 33), 4 April 1941
  • Placed out of service 18 September 1944
  • Struck from the Naval Register 14 October 1944
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration 3 April 1945
  • Acquired in 1945 by Antonio D'Ambra of San Pedro, CA for use as a fishing boat and renamed S. G. Giuseppe
  • Acquired in 1951 by Giro G. DiMeglio of San Pedro
  • Acquired in 1959 by S. G. Guiseppe Fishing, Inc. of San Pedro
  • Acquired in 1973 by Arcangelo Savasta of San Pedro and renamed Gianni Boy
  • Out of documentation in 1985
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 170 t.
  • Length 76' 6"
  • Beam 21' 5"
  • Draft 4' 5"
  • Speed 9 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: Two .50 cal. machine guns and four rifles
  • Propulsion: Diesel, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of Firecrest (AMc 33) is available at this time

    View the Firecrest (AMc 33)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Coastal Minesweeper (AMc) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History