Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to theWebmaster Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive
ex-Killdeer (AMCU 27)
November - Xray - Kilo - Hotel
AMCU-7 Class Coastal Minesweeper (Underwater Locator):Laid down 22 September 1944 by the New Jersey Shipbuilding Co., Barber, NJLaunched 19 October 1944Commissioned USS LSI(L)-883, 26 October 1944Decommissioned in March 1946Named Killdeer 7 March 1952 and reclassified a Coastal Minesweeper (Underwater Locator), AMCU-27Conversion to AMCU-27 canceled in July 1954 and reclassified back to LSI(L)-883Sunk as a target in 1960.
LCI Specifications:Displacement 216 t.(light), 234 t.(landing), 389 t.(loaded)Length 158' 5½"Beam 23' 3"Draft Light 3' 1½" mean, Landing 2' 8" forward, 4' 10" aft, Landing, 5' 4"forward, 5' 11" aftSpeed 16 kts. (max.), 14 kts. maximum continuousComplement two officer, 21 enlisted; Troop Capacity, six Officers, 182 EnlistedCargo Capacity 75 t.Armor 2" plastic splinter protection on gun turrets, conning tower and pilot houseEndurance 4,000 miles at 12 kts., loaded, 500 miles at 15 kts. and 110 tons of fuelArmament: Four 20mm guns one forward, one amidship, two aft, later added two .50 cal. machine gunsFuel Capacity 130 t., lube oil 200 gal.Propulsion: Two sets of four 200bhp General Motors 6-71 diesel engines, 4 per shaft, two variable pitch propellers.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
Killdeer - A ringed plover; a North American shore and field bird (Charadius vociferus)
|01||LT T. P. McGueress, USNR||May 1945|
Courtesy Joseph M. Radigan (of blessed memory)
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships:
LSIL-883 (q.v.) was commissioned 26 October 1944 and decommissioned in March 1946. On 7 March 1952, while out of commission in reserve, she was named Killdeer and reclassified AMCU-27. In July 1954 she was again reclassified LSIL-883.
Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster
This page was created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan (of blessed memory) & Michael Mohl
All Pages © 1996 - 2023, NavSource History, All rights reserved.