LCI Specifications: Displacement 216 t.(light), 234 t.(landing), 389 t.(loaded); Length 158' 5½"; Beam 23' 3"; Draft, Light 3'1½" mean, Landing, 2' 8" forward, 41'10" aft, Landing, 5'4"forward, 5'11" aft; Speed 16 kts (max.), 14 kts maximum continuous; Complement two officer, 21 enlisted; Troop Capacity, six Officers, 182 Enlisted; Cargo Capacity, 75 tons; Armor, 2" plastic splinter protection on gun turrets, conning tower and pilot house; Endurance 4,000 miles at 12 kts, loaded, 500 miles at 15 knots; and 110 tons of fuel; Armament four single 20mm guns one forward, one amidship, two aft, later added two .50 cal. machine guns; Fuel Capacity, 130 tons, lube oil 200 gal.; Propulsion two sets of four General Motors diesels, 4 per shaft, 1,600 bhp, twin variable pitch propellers.
|Click On Image
For Full Size Image
|No image of Longspur (MHC 28) is available at this time|
After shakedown LCI(L)-884 departed Norfolk 25 November, steamed through the Panama Canal. and arrived San Diego 20 December. Following additional training off the west coast, the landing craft sailed 6 March 1945 for the Marianias, arriving Guam 8 April. Two weeks later she was en route to Okinawa, where U.S. Forces were already engaged in the most extensive campaign of the Pacific war.Upon her arrival 28 April LCI(L)-884 was assigned mail delivery and smoke station duty for large ships operating off Okinawa. She remained in the vicinity for the rest of the war, playing an important part for the fieet in aiding it against the victorious struggle against the Japanese Empire. After the war she operated as a mine destruction vessel out of Nagasaki and Sasebo, remaining in Japan until December. Early in 1946, LCI(L)-884 returned to the United States and decommissioned 24 March 1947, joining the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. She was reclassified LSIL-884, 28
LSIL-884 was named and redesignated Longspur (AMCU-28) 7 March 1952. Recommissioned in June 1952, Longspur was assigned to the 6th Naval District for harbor defense. Reclassified MHC-28 on 7 February 1953, she continued operations out of Charleston until 1 January 1954. Decommissioned the first of the year, she joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Charleston, S.C. Struck 1 January 1960, Longspur was sold to Mills Marine Co., 18 May 1960 and was towed away for scrap 22 June 1960.
LCl(L)-884 received one battle star for World War II service.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index||Back to the Coastal Minehunter (MHC) Photo Index||Back to the Amphibious Ship Index||Back To The Landing Ship Infantry (LSI) Photo Index|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster|
This page created by and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|
© 2005 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2005 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.