Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Israel (DM 3)



Call sign (1924):
Nan - Easy - Nan - George

ex-DD-98



Call sign (1919):
George - Sail - Dog - Vice

Wickes Class Destroyer/Stribling Class Light Minelayer:

  • Laid down 26 January 1918 by the Fore River Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Massachusetts
  • Launched 22 June 1918
  • Commissioned USS Israel, Destroyer No. 98, 13 September 1918 at Boston Navy Yard
  • Reclassified as a Light Minelayer, DM-3, 17 July 1920
  • Decommissioned 7 July 1922 at Philadelphia, PA and laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Philadelphia
  • Struck from the Navy Register 25 January 1937
  • Sold for scrap 18 April 1939 to the Union Shipbuilding Co. of Baltimore, MD.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 1,191 t.
  • Length 314' 4½"
  • Beam 30' 11¼"
  • Draft 9' 2"
  • Speed 34 kts.
    1921 - 33.97 kts.
  • Complement 103
    1921 - 122
  • Armament: Four 4"/50 mounts, two 1-pounders, one depth charge projector and two depth charge tracks
    1921 - Two 1-pounders replaced by one 3"/23 mount
  • Propulsion: Four White-Foster boilers, two 12,100shp Parsons turbines, two shafts
    1921 - Four Yarrow boilers and two 29,250shp Curtis geared turbines.

    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Israel 374k
    Namesake:

    Joseph Israel was born c. 1780. He entered the Navy as Midshipman on 15 January 1801. He served on USS Maryland during the Quasi-War with France and on USS Chesapeake, USS New York and USS Constitution during the First Barbary War. Midshipman Israel was killed 4 September 1804 when ketch USS Intrepid exploded in the harbor of Tripoli during the night effort to destroy the enemy shipping led by Lieutenant Richard Somers.

    A monument to the memory of Israel and his fellow officers and men stands on the grounds of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis.

    The Tripoli Monument is the oldest military monument in the United States.[1] It honors heroes of the United States Navy from the First Barbary War (18011805): Master Commandant Richard Somers, Lieutenant James Caldwell, James Decatur (brother of Capt.Stephen Decatur), Henry Wadsworth, Joseph Israel, and John Sword Dorsey. It was carved in Livorno, Italy in 1806 and brought to the United States on board the famous 1797 frigate USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides"). From its original installation in the Washington Navy Yard at the new national capital of Washington, D.C. in 1808, it was later moved to the west front terrace of the United States Capitol facing the National Mall in 1831, and finally to the United States Naval Academy campus in Annapolis, Maryland in 1860

    Tommy Trampp
    Photo added 4 March 2022
    Israel 66k Photographed circa 1920, just after she had been converted to a light minelayer. Though formally designated as DM-3 in July 1920, she is still wearing her destroyer number, "98"
    Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson, 1973
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 78129
    Robert Hurst
    Israel 91k c. 1921
    Boston Navy Yard, Charlestown, MA
    Still wearing their destroyer bow numbers with the mine force insignia painted on immediately behind, are (from left to right): USS Mahan (DM-7, formerly DD-102); USS Lansdale (DM-6, formerly DD-101); USS Maury (DM-5, formerly DD-100); and Israel
    Photographed by H. J. Darley, 46 Water Street, Charlestown, Massachusetts
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 103189
    Barb Rebold

    View the Israel (DM-3)
    DANFS History entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Website
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    NavSource Destroyer Pages, USS Israel (DD-98)
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Light Minelayer (DM) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Joe Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History