Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

YMS-12



Call sign:
Nan - Able - Roger - Easy

YMS-1 Class Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 21 April 1941 by the Rice Brothers Corp., East Boothbay, ME
  • Launched 14 March 1942
  • Completed 1 July 1942
  • Struck from the Naval Register 17 April 1946
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration in June 1947
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 270 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 15 kts.
  • Complement 32
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm mounts, and two depth charge projectors
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    YMS-12 20k Rice Brothers Corporation (East Boothbay, Maine) was founded by his grandfather Henry W. Rice and his brothers William and Frank in 1892. Henry bought out his brothers and ran the yard with his sons, Donald, Baxter (Roberts father) and Carl until 1956. The yard was sold several times afterward and was bought by Washburn & Doughty in 1988. The picture shows the yard from the water front in 1942, the PC-504 (later SC-504) on the left is ready for launching, the PC-503 (later SC-503) is fitting out and the YMS-12 is dockside fitting out. .
    YMS-12 83k 29 May 1942 Robert Hurst

    There is no DANFS history available for YMS-12
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association
    Association of Minemen
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Problems and site related matters, E-mail Webmaster Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History