Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - William - Baker - How

YMS-1 Class Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 18 October 1941 by the South Coast Co., Newport Beach, CA
  • Launched 7 March 1942
  • Completed 21 August 1942 and commissioned USS YMS-91
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration in March 1948
  • Sold in 1949 to Dr. William Ballard, DVM, a Canadian Veterinarian of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and named Marabell
  • Sold in 1953 to the Royal Canadian Hydrographic Service
  • Placed out of service in 1969
  • Acquired in 1972 by Lacerte Holdings, Ltd. of Victoria, British Columbia
  • Acquired in 1979 by Marabell Charters, Ltd. of Victoria
  • Acquired in 1982 by Sealand of the Pacific, Ltd. of Victoria
  • Acquired in 2003 by Oak Bay Marina, Ltd. of Victoria
  • Acquired in 2016 by Dane Development, Ltd. of Courtenay, British Columbia
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 270 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 15 kts.
  • Complement 32
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm mounts, and two depth charge projectors
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    YMS-91 159k . MV Marabell Website

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG W. A. Hurst, USNR1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for YMS-91
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association
    Association of Minemen
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To The Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History