Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Queen - Item - Queen

YMS-1 Class Auxiliary Motor Mine Sweeper:

  • Laid down 24 March 1943 by the Seattle Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Seattle, WA
  • Launched 26 June 1943
  • Completed 30 October 1943
  • Struck from the Naval Register 10 June 1947
  • Transferred to the State Department, Foreign Liquidation Commission 29 December 1947 and sold
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 270 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 15 kts.
  • Complement 32
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm mounts, and two depth charge projectors
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    YMS-340 109k Four motor minesweepers (YMS) alongside the starboard side of USS Mindanao (ARG-3) shortly after Mount Hood [AE 11] blew up about 350 yards away from Mindanao's port side. These wooden minesweepers were protected from most of the direct force of the blast by Mindanao's hull, but received some damage. USS YMS-340 is second from the left. Note that her open bridge bulwarks have been blown down. Also note differing types of retracting accoustic "hammer box" mountings on the bows of these ships.
    Copied from the War Diary, Manus Naval Base, November 1944.
    U S Navy Photo NH 96175
    Naval Historical Center

    There is no DANFS history available for YMS-340
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association
    Association of Minemen
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back To The Motor Mine Sweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History