Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

YMS-401



Call sign:
Nan - George - Yoke - Love

YMS-1 Class Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 17 July 1942 by Henry B. Nevins, Inc., City Island, NY
  • Launched 1 April 1943
  • Completed 4 June 1943
  • Commissioned USS YMS-401, 5 June 1943
  • Decommissioned 1 April 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register 7 February 1947
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration 29 October 1947
  • Acquired in 1948 by Russell Wolf of Metairie, LA and named Wolf V
  • Acquired in 1949 by Russell Wolf and Co., Inc. of Harvey, LA
  • Burned 23 September 1953 in Slip No. 2 at the company's dock, 4½" miles south of Harvey Locks at New Orleans, LA.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 270 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 15 kts.
  • Complement 32
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm mounts, and two depth charge projectors
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    YMS-401 303k Photo from the collection of ENS Howard C. Vanderschaaf Neil Vanderschaaf
    YMS-401 537k c. Summer 1944
    Crew photo
    Dennis B. McCourt
    YMS-401 197k Reverse side of above photo

    Commanding Officers
    01LT Peter Sheridan, USNR5 June 1943 - December 1943
    02LT John J. McCourt, USNRDecember 1943 - August 1944
    03LT Arleigh P. Hess, Jr., USNR1945
    Courtesy Dennis B. McCourt, Joe Radigan and Wolfgang Heckler

    There is no DANFS history available for YMS-401
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History