Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

YMS-404



Call sign:
Nan - Peter - Baker - Queen

YMS-1 Class Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 10 August 1942 by Henry B. Nevins, Inc., City Island, NY
  • Launched 26 May 1943
  • Completed and commissioned USS YMS-404, 6 August 1943
  • Struck from the Naval Register 25 February 1947
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration 3 December 1947 and sold
  • It was beached beached in the early 1950's in a cove on Hood Canal in Washington State near Hoodsport, WA. A recent trip up there made Stan Jefferson of Litchfield Park, AZ curious--the 404 was no
    longer visible. The local historical society, and after checking with locals, he was told the 404 just deteriorated and "went away."

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 270 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 15 kts.
  • Complement 32
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm mounts, and two depth charge projectors
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    YMS-404
    YMS-404 178k Launching
    Photo courtesy of the City Island Nautical Museum
    Tom Nye
    USS YMS-404
    YMS-404 167k U. S. Navy photo Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
    YMS-404 233k Moored port side to YMS-458 in San Francisco Bay, c. 1945
    Courtesy of Donald McPherson, 1976
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 84986
    Mike Green

    There is no DANFS history available for YMS-404
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Motor Mine Sweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Joe Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History