Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Queen - Nan - Sugar

YMS-1 Class Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 4 November 1943 by Mojean and Erickson, Tacoma, WA
  • Launched 25 March 1944
  • Completed 28 November 1944 and commissioned
  • Assigned to the 1st Fleet in March 1945 serving in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from 24 March - 30 June 1945. From 9 September - 26 October 1945 she served in the Nagoya (Honshu
    Area) and Sasebo (Kyushu-Korea Area). During the period of 27 October 1945 through 26 February 1946 she served in the Kure-Hiroshima (Honshu Area)
  • Damaged by shore battery 7 April 1945 off Okinawa
  • Placed in deferred disposal status in August 1946
  • Decommissioned 12 November 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register 25 February 1947
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration 9 December 1947 and sold to the American Tug Boat Co. of Nordland, WA
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 270 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 15 kts.
  • Complement 32
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm mounts, and two depth charge projectors
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    YMS-427 100k c. 1945
    Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge upon her return from Japan
    George Desharnais

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG G. L. Denton, Jr., USNR1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS History currently available for YMS-427
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History