Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Dog - Queen

Lynn Ann call sign (1948):
William - Jig - Jig - Able

YMS-1 Class Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 1 November 1943 by Robert Jacobs, Inc., City Island, NY
  • Launched 7 July 1944
  • Completed 25 October 1944
  • Commissioned USS YMS-438, 26 October 1944 under the command of LTJG Philip C. Martin, USNR
  • Decommissioned 1 January 1947
  • Struck from the Naval Register 5 March 1947
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration 27 May 1947
  • Registered in 1948 to Merton P. Soma of Mount Vernon, WA as the fishing boat Lynn Ann out of Seattle, WA
  • Registered in 1949 to Trawler Lynn-Ann, Inc. of Anacortes, WA as the fishing boat Lynn Ann out of Bellingham, WA
  • Acquired in 1954 by Beaufort By-Products of Beaufort, NC
  • Registered in 1956 by the Carteret Menhaden Co., Inc. of Beaufort as the fishing boat Lynn Ann out of Beaufort
  • Out of documentation in 1978
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 270 t.
    1948 - 260 t.
  • Length 136'
    1948 - 127.1'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8'
    1948 - 11.8'
  • Speed 15 kts.
  • Complement 32
    1948 - 12
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm mounts, and two depth charge projectors
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    YMS-438 106k c. 1945
    San Francisco Bay
    Passing under the Golden Gate bridge
    Robert Hurst

    There is no DANFS History currently available for YMS-438
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan & Michael Mohl
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History