Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

YMS-475



Call sign:
Nan - Queen - Zebra - Peter

ex-PCS-1447


YMS-1 Class Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 30 April 1943 as Patrol Craft Sweeper, PCS-1447 by the San Diego Marine Construction Co., San Diego, CA
  • Reclassified as an Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper, YMS-475, 7 October 1943
  • Launched 23 May 1944
  • Completed 16 August 1944
  • Struck from the Naval Register 29 October 1946
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration 21 January 1947 and sold
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 270 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 15 kts.
  • Complement 32
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm mounts, and two depth charge projectors
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    YMS-475 65k USS YMS-475 and USS YMS-461 in San Francisco Bay, California, shortly after the end of World War II, circa late 1945 or early 1946. YMS-461 later became USS Swallow (AMS-36)
    Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson, 1976.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 84992
    Naval Historical Center

    Commanding Officers
    01LT L. W. Beardon, Jr., USNR1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for YMS-475
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Naval Minewarfare Association Association of Minemen

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back To The Patrol Craft Sweeper (PCS) Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Joe Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History