Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
PC-569, a steel-hulled submarine chaser, was laid down 11 September 1941 by Albina Engine and Machinery Works Inc., Portland, Ore.; launched 22 January 1942; fitted out at Puget Sound Navy Yard; and commissioned there 9 May 1942. Upon completion of June shakedown off the west coast, PC-569 reported to Commander Western Sea Frontier for duty. She departed San Francisco, Calif. on her first convoy escort operation 23 July. Through 1943 she operated between San Diego and San Francisco, Calif., and as far north as Port Angeles, Juan de Fuca Strait, Wash. In February 1944 she shifted operations to the Aleutians, calling at Attu Shemya, and Amchitka. Arriving Pearl Harbor 24 April 1944, PC-569 conducted patrols, escorted ships, and provided a sea-going training facility in the Hawaiian Island area until the end of the war. She remained in Hawaii until April 1946, departing the 21st for San Pedro, Calif. PC-569 departed San Pedro 10 May 1946, cruising via the Panama Canal for inactivation overhaul at the New York Naval Shipyard. Arriving New York 1 June, she remained there until 11 November, after which she touched at Charleston, S.C. en route Mayport, Fla. The submarine chaser decommissioned 25 March 1947 and was placed with the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Green Cove Springs, Fla. Named Petoskey 2 February 1956, she remained inactive at Green Cove Springs until struck from the Navy List 1 July 1960 and sold to A. S. Wikstrom, Inc., Skancatelas, N.Y.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index||Back To The Submarine Chaser Photo Index||Back To The Petoskey (PC 569) Main Page|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster|
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|
© 2005 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2005 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.