Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

PC-577



Call sign:
Nan - Uncle - Love - How

PC-577 served both the U. S. Navy and U. S. Army


PC-461 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 6 May 1942 by the Dravo Corp., Wilmington, DE
  • Launched 25 July 1942
  • Commissioned 15 October 1942
  • Transferred 21 December 1945 to the U.S. Army's Chemical Warfare Center, Edgewood Arsenal, MD
  • Struck from the Naval Register 8 January 1946
  • Sunk 12 November 1948 between Norfolk, VA and Bermuda due to high contamination from chemical tests.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 450 t.
  • Length 173' 8"
  • Beam 23'
  • Draft 10' 10"
  • Speed 20.2 kts.
  • Complement 65
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, one 40mm gun mount; three 20mm guns, two rocket launchers, four depth charge projectors and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1, 440bhp Hooven-Owen-Rentschler R-99DA diesel engines (Serial No. 6684 and 6685), Westinghouse single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PC-577 138k . Steve Kollar
    PC-577 53k
    577 Crew 98k Front row: (3rd, 4th, and 5th from left) MoMMC Bruce, Bernie Dierocki, PO Cox
    Back row: SM3/c Elmer Fisher (3rd from left), S1/c Art Knauser (2nd from right).
    PC-577 116k 2 November 1942
    Philadelphia Navy Yard, PA
    Photo of mast showing "SF" Radar transmission line and transmission line guard
    Tracy White

    There is no DANFS history available for PC-577
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the Submarine Chaser (PC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History