Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

Beeville (PC 617)
ex-PC-617



Call sign:
November - Uniform - Yankee - Sierra


PC-461 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 29 March 1942 by George Lawley and Sons, Inc., Neponset, MA
  • Launched 18 July 1942
  • Commissioned USS PC-617, 28 August 1942 at the Boston Navy Yard, Charlestown, MA
  • Decommissioned 16 August 1946 at Green Cove Springs, FL and laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Florida Group
    Naval Vessel Register of 1 January 1949 lists plan for decommissioning and placing in reserve as January 1947
  • Named Beeville 15 February 1956
  • Struck from the Navy Register 5 September 1957
  • Sold for scrap 5 August 1958 to Ships and Power, Inc. of Miami, FL.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 280 t.(lt), 450 t.(fl)
  • Length 173' 8"
  • Beam 23'
  • Draft 10' 10"
  • Speed 20.2 kts.
  • Complement 65
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, one 40mm gun mount, three 20mm guns, two rocket launchers, four depth charge projectors, and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,440bhp Fairbanks Morse 38D8 1/8 diesel engines (Serial No. 832369 and 832370), Westinhouse single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PC-617 83k Launch day. Bob Daly/PC-1811
    Beeville 69k c. 1945.
    Off Normandy, France
    E. J. Comeau
    PC 553/1228

    View the Beeville (PC 617)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval Historical Center website
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the Submarine Chaser (PC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Joe Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History