|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|104k||Great Lakes Institute photo||Bob Daly/PC-1181|
|L'Inconstant (P 636)
|269k||Standing by for helicopter transfer of two liaison officers off Tourane, Indochina
Photo copied from CVL-48-1233 (L) in Naval Attache Report
U.S. Navy photo NH 84056
|Naval History and Heritage Command|
|218k||31 May 1975
Subic Bay, Philippines
Former South Vietnamese and Cambodian Navy ships tied up at buoy No. 1, after bringing in refugees. They are (l-r): Vietnamese ships: HQ-471, ex-YOG-33;
Dong Da II (HQ 07), ex-Crestview (PCE 895); Chi Lang II (HQ 08), ex-Gayety (MSF 239); Chi Linh (HQ 11), ex-Shelter (MSF 301); Cambodian Ships:
National Archives photo K-109092
|Naval History and Heritage Command|
The PC-1171 was built by the Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Contract awarded during FY 1942 (27 October 1942). Her keel was laid down on 12 March 1943, launched on 15 May 1943. Her sponsor was Miss Betty Lau. The builders trials were completed on 2 September 1943 and she was commissioned at the NOB New Orleans, LA on 24 September 1943. After her shake down cruise and SCTC training, she reported for duty as school ship at SCTC Miami in November of 1943. On 9 June 1945, after 20 months of service as a SCTC school ship she was ordered to report to CinCPac for duty. In early July 1945, she entered the Dade Dry Dock Shipyard for Pacific duty modifications. The "K" guns were removed and three more 20 mm units were installed for a total of five and the below deck ventilation was increased. Departing Miami on 21 July 1945, she arrived in the Canal Zone on the 26 July 1945 where they reported to CinCPac for duty. They were ordered to Pearl Harbor via San Diego. The Atom bombs were dropped and the cease fire was ordered while they were steaming between San Diego and Pearl Harbor.
On 29 August 1945, they got underway from Pearl Harbor as part of a three ship escort for LST Flotilla 37 heading for Japan. The Escort Commander was the USS Kirkpatrick (DE-318). The other escort was the PC-1210. The convoy consisted of 16 LST's and the Task Force Command Ship (AGC).
Approaching the coast of Japan they ran into some residual weather from the typhoon that had passed close to Okinawa on the 16 September of 1945. Relieved from the LST Flotilla escort duty off the coast of Japan, they escorted a couple of attack transports into Sasebo, Japan. They had the distinction of being the first U.S. Naval vessel going dockside in Sasebo when they landed a Beachmaster unit at the Japanese Naval Base on 25 September 1945. They were then assigned to harbor control duty at Sasebo.
On 25 October 1945, they departed Sasebo for Shanghai, China for duty as harbor control and pilot transfer vessel. They rendezvoused off the sea entrance of the Yangtze River with a minesweeper. Following the minesweeper up river to Shanghai, they destroyed many mines cut loose by the AM. At one time they were surrounded by seven floating mines. The first Naval vessel into Shanghai, China was the minesweeper. The PC-1171 was the second. Part of their duty was hydrographic surveys of the Yangtze River and acting as harbor control and a pilot transfer vessel at the Yangtze River sea entrance. They were kept busy destroying many floating mines and escorting troop ships and aircraft carriers carrying troops. On one occasion they escorted the "Magic Carpet" vessels, USS Arcturus (AK-18) and the escort carrier USS Makin Island (CVE-93), carrying homeward bound troops, 200 miles out to sea running ahead of them in case of mines. For this, they were awarded a battle star for dangerous service.
On 9 January 1946, they left Shanghai heading east for Guam in company with the PC-804, 589 and the PC-594.
On 20 April 1946, they left Guam for Eniwetok in company with the PC-1170, 1253, 1569 and the salvage vessel, USS Anchor (ARS-13). The PC-1177 joined up en route. Eight days later they dropped anchor in the southern anchorage at Eniwetok atoll. On 11 May, they got underway for Pearl Harbor in company with the PC-1146 arriving there on the 20 May 1946. For the next 10 months they were based at Hickam Field and assigned to Air/Sea Rescue duty.
Returning stateside, the PC-1171 reported to the Pacific 19th Fleet on 13 October 1946. Placed out of commission, in reserve on 4 December 1946. The sub chaser was then assigned to the PACRESFLT, Columbia River Group, Sub-Group 4 at Tongue Point, Astoria, Oregon.
In 1951 she was removed from the Columbia River Reserve fleet and turned over to the French Navy for use in Indochina. Given the name L'INCONSTANT (P-636), she served until 1956, when she was turned over to the Marine Royale Khmere (Cambodian Navy) and named E-312. The crew and the sub chaser, along with a number of other vessels, defected and turned themselves over to the U.S. Navy.
Most of these ships were taken to Subic Bay and were among a large number of vessels turned over to the Philippine Navy. She received the name Negros Oriental (PS-26). In 1987, she was given a major overhaul, re-engined with GM 16-278A's and converted into a fast attack craft. She was decommissioned on 29 March 1990 and later sold for scrap to the Trans Manila Company.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index||Back to the Submarine Chaser (PC) Photo Index|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster|
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|