Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

Mayfield (PC 1196)
ex-PC-1196



Call sign:
November - Quebec - Delta - Charlie

PC-461 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 29 August 1942 by the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, NY
  • Launched 24 October 1942
  • Commissioned USS PC-1196, 7 April 1943 at the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, NY
  • Decommissioned in July 1946 at Charleston, SC and placed in service as a naval reserve training vessel in the 5th Naval District (Norfolk)
  • Placed out of service in December 1949 and laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Norfolk Group
  • Named Mayfield 15 February 1956
  • Struck from the Navy Register 1 April 1959 and sold for scrap to Welsh Construction Co. of New York, NY.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 450 t.
  • Length 173' 8"
  • Beam 23'
  • Draft 10' 10"
  • Speed 20.2 kts.
  • Complement 65
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, one 40mm gun mount, five 20mm guns, two rocket launchers, and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,440bhp Hooven-Owen-Rentschler R-99DA diesel engines, Westinghouse single reduction gear, two shafts.

    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PC-1196 290k From the collection of LTJG Robert W. Sharp Andrea Bobak
    PC-1196 232k Crew photo
    Third from the left, LTJG Robert W. Sharp
    From the collection of LTJG Robert W. Sharp

    View the Mayfield (PC-1196)
    DANFS History entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Website
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Submarine Chaser (PC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Joe Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History