Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Eagle-Class Patrol Craft
Photo Archive

PE-59



Call sign (1924):
Nan - Item - Charlie - Mike

ex-Eagle No. 59



Call sign (1919):
George - Have - King - Watch

Eagle Class Patrol Craft:

  • Laid down 31 March 1919 by Ford Motor Co., Detroit, MI
  • Launched 12 April 1919
  • Commissioned USS Eagle No. 59, 19 September 1919
  • Designated PE-59, 17 July 1920
  • Sold, 29 August 1938
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 615 t.
  • Length 200' 9"
  • Beam 33' 1"
  • Draft 8' 6"
  • Speed 18.3 kts.
  • Complement 61
  • Armament: Two 4"/50 gun mounts, and two .50 cal. machine guns
  • Propulsion: Two 250psi Thorny-Craft Bureau Mod. boilers, one 2,500shp Poole turbine, Ford single reduction gear, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PE-59 68k From an undated picture post card. Inscription reads: "Worlds record built in 10 days and 22 hours." Richard Leonhardt
    PE-59 133k 15 November 1920
    Undergoing inclining experiments at Portsmouth Navy Yard, Portsmouth, NH
    National Archives photo
    Dan Treadwell
    PE-59 162k
    PE-59 176k
    PE-59 167k 15 November 1920
    Undergoing inclining experiments at Portsmouth Navy Yard, Portsmouth, NH. PE-42 is directly astern and the destroyers Israel (DD 98), Taylor (DD 94) and Ringgold (DD 89) are in
    the background
    National Archives photo
    PE-59 129k 15 November 1920
    Undergoing inclining experiments at Portsmouth Navy Yard, Portsmouth, NH
    National Archives photo
    PE-59 141
    PE-59 202k
    PE-59 163k
    PE-59 302k Eagle boat PE-26 on the left side of the picture with the PE-59 on the right during the Naval Review on the Hudson River, New York City on 27 July 1923. The boats and launch are traveling north with Grants Tomb on the right. The white river steamer is approximately west of 125th street. It is believed that the PE's were anchored in the Naval Anchorage off the 125th street area and the two launches were carrying dignitaries during the review. Before and after WW II, there was a battleship anchorage with buoys north of 125th street.
    Photo from the ADM Joseph Peck Collection
    Bob Daly/PC-1181
    PE-59, 60, 52, 26, 51 & 44 198k 21 July 1938
    Philadelphia, PA
    Photo caption: "PHILADELPHIA - 21 July - UNCLE SAM IN BOAT BUSINESS - These six decommissioned "Eagle Boats" built during World War days to chase subs, are tied up at the Navy Yard here, awaiting the highest bidder. Navy officials will open bids Aug. 18. (APWire photo) (h50845pxb) 1938)"
    From Michael Strout's collection of Associated Press photos
    Jonathan Eno

    View the PE-59
    DANFS history entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Eagle Class Patrol Craft (PE) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History