Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Torpedo Boat Photo Archive

PT-228



Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Yoke - Roger

78' Higgins Motor Torpedo Boat:

  • Laid down 13 November 1942 by Higgins Industries, New Orleans, LA
  • Launched 17 March 1943
  • Completed 25 March 1943
  • Placed in service 29 March 1943 and assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron SEVENTEEN (PTRon 17) under the command of LCDR Russell B. Allen, USN
  • PTRon 17, assigned to Hawaiian Sea Frontier, arrived at Pearl Harbor late in 1943, In February 1944, the squadron was shipped to Majuro Atoll, in the Marshalls, where it conducted patrols but had no enemy contacts. The
    squadron returned to Pearl Harbor in April and was shipped, a few boats at a time, to the Southwest Pacific
  • The "Jinx" was placed out of service 19 November 1945 at Samar, Philippines
  • Transferred to the State Department, Foreign Liquidation Commission in May 1946
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 56 t.
  • Length 78'
  • Beam 20' 8"
  • Draft 5' 3"
  • Speed 41 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: Four 21" torpedoes, one 40mm mount, one 20mm mount and two twin .50 cal. machine guns
  • Propulsion: Three 1,500shp Packard W-14 M2500 gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PT-228 407k From the collection of Edward S. Fior, Radioman on PT-228 Edward A. Fior
    PT-228 408k Crew photo
    From the collection of Edward S. Fior, Radioman on PT-228

    There is no DANFS history available for PT-228
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Motor Torpedo Boat (PT) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History