Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Torpedo Boat Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - King - Roger - Queen

80' Elco Motor Torpedo Boat:

  • Laid down 12 January 1943 by the Electric Boat Co., Elco Works, Bayonne, NJ
  • Launched 19 March 1943
  • Completed 8 April 1943, placed in service and assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron TWENTY ONE (PTRon 21) under the command of Comdr. Selman S. Bowling, USN
  • PTRon 21, assigned to the Southwest Pacific, had action at Morobe, Dreger Harbor, and Mios Woendi in New Guinea; at Manus in the Admiralties; and at San Pedro Bay and Subic Bay in the Philippines. It also based for a time
    at Kana Kopa, New Guinea, and at Samar and Basilan Island in the Philippines, but had no action from these bases. PTRon 21 was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for action in the New Guinea area from October
    1943 to March 1944
  • The "Black Sheep", ex-"Aces and Eights" was placed out of service, stripped and destroyed by U.S. Forces 10 November 1945 at Samar, Philippines.


  • Displacement 56 t.
  • Length 80'
  • Beam 20' 8"
  • Draft 5'
  • Speed 41 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, four 21" Torpedoes, one 37mm mount, one 20mm mount and two twin .50 cal. machine guns
  • Propulsion: Three 1,500shp Packard W-14 M2500 gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PT-324 140k Seated on the bridge is LTJG Clay C. Cooper, Jr., PT-324's last skipper LtCol Shep Cooper, USMCR, Ret.
    PT-324 43k Photo by Edmund Landwersiek, Jr. from the PT Boat forum

    There is no DANFS history available for PT-324
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Motor Torpedo Boat (PT) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History