Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Torpedo Boat Photo Archive

PT-347



Call sign:
Nan - Tare - Able - William

Destroyed by U.S. aircraft 29 April 1944

80' Elco Motor Torpedo Boat:

  • Laid down 17 March 1943 by the Electric Boat Co., Elco Works, Bayonne, NJ
  • Launched 26 May 1943
  • Completed 15 June 1943
  • Placed in service 17 June 1943 under the command of LT Robert J. Williams, USN and assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron TWENTY FIVE (MTBRon 25) under the command of Lt. Daniel S. Bauchman, Jr., USN.
  • MTBRon 25, assigned to the Southwest Pacific, had action at
    Dreger Harbor, Mios Woendi, and Amsterdam Island in New Guinea; Rein Bay and Talasea in New Britain; Mindoro and Ormoc in the Philippines; and Morotai in the Halmaheras. It also based for a time at Kana Kopa, New
    Guinea, and San Pedro Bay in the Philippines, but had no action from these bases
  • The "Zombie" was attacked and destroyed by U.S. aircraft 29 April 1944 at Lassul Bay, New Britain, Solomon Islands.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 56 t.
  • Length 80'
  • Beam 20' 8"
  • Draft 5'
  • Speed 41 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, one 20mm mount four 21" Torpedoes and two twin .50 cal. machine guns
  • Propulsion: Three 1,500shp Packard W-14 M2500 gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of PT-347 is available at this time

    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Tragedy at Sea
    The Untold Story of PT-347, PT-350 and PT-346

    There is no DANFS history available for PT-347
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Motor Torpedo Boat (PT) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History