Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Torpedo Boat Photo Archive

PT-579



Call sign:
Nan - William - Jig - Yoke

80' Elco Motor Torpedo Boat:

  • Laid down 27 July 1944 by the Electric Boat Co., Elco Works, Bayonne, NJ
  • Launched 7 February 1945
  • Completed 1 March 1945
  • Placed in service 2 March 1945 and assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron THIRTY NINE (PTRon 39) under the command of LT Charles A. Bernier, Jr., USNR
  • PTRon 39, assigned to Pacific Fleet, arrived at Samar, P.I., in July 1945, and was there at the cessation of hostilities. It had no action with the enemy
  • The "Gizmo" was placed out of service 24 December 1945
  • Struck from the Naval Register 8 January 1946
  • Transferred to the State Department, Foreign Liquidation Commission in May 1946 and sold
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 56 t.
  • Length 80'
  • Beam 20' 8"
  • Draft 5'
  • Speed 41 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, one 37mm mount, four 21" torpedoes and two twin .50 cal. machine guns
  • Propulsion: Three 1,500shp Packard W-14 M2500 gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PT-579 153k Original photo: Wearing Measure 31/20L camouflage.
    U.S. Navy photo courtesy of Floating Drydock from "Naval camouflage 1914-1945: A Complete Visual History" by David Williams
    Replacement photo: Photo from ELCO 80 PT Boat - On Deck Color Series No. 5 by David Doyle
    Original photo: Robert Hurst
    Replacement photo: Tommy Trampp

    There is no DANFS history available for PT-579
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Motor Torpedo Boat (PT) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History