Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Torpedo Boat Photo Archive

HM MTB-378
ex-BPT-68


BPT-68 served the Navies of Great Britian and Italy.

BPT-21 Class Motor Torpedo Boat:

  • Laid down 6 March 1943 as BPT-68 by Annapolis Yacht Yard, Annapolis, MD
  • Launched 17 July 1943
  • Completed 15 December 1943, transferred to Great Britain and named HM MTB-378
  • Returned to U.S. Navy custody 15 October 1945
  • Struck from the Naval Register 28 November 1945
  • Transferred to the State Department, Foreign Liquidation Commission in January 1948
  • Transferred to Italy 4 April 1948; reclassified as a Torpedo Recovery Craft and renamed GIS-0017
  • Renamed GIS-821
  • Reclassified as a Motor Torpedo Boat, MS-841 and MS-421
  • Struck from the Navy list in 1958
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Armament: One Mk 1-20mm mount, one twin .50 cal. Vickers machine gun in Mk V turret (replaced by one Mk IIA twin 20mm mount), two 21" torpedoes and two depth charges
  • Propulsion: Three 3,600shp Packard W-14 M2500 gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    BPT-68 350k HM MTB-378 underway. She is armed with a single 20 mm Oerlikon Mk 4 forward and a manually-operated twin 20 mm Oerlikon Mk 11A amidships in lieu of 0.5" Vickers Mk V, 2-21" TT RN Pattern and 2-1 depth charges. Note the conspicuous whip aerial fitted to the port wing of the bridge
    Imperial War Museum photo from "Warships of World War II" by H. T. Lenton and J. J. College
    Robert Hurst
    BPT-68 64k Original photo: HM MTB-378 viewed from the stern of a 78-foot Higgins MTB during operations in the Mediterranean. The Higgins boat is equipped with a Canadian-built 40 mm Bofors gun on its quarterdeck
    Imperial War Museum photo from "British Motor Torpedo Boat 1939-1945" by Angus Konstan
    Replacement photo: HM MTB-378 at speed, as seen from the bridge of an unidentified sister operating near Genoa off the Italian Coast in February, 1945. Prominent here on the quarterdeck is a Canadian manufactured 40mm Bofors gun which replaced a twin 20mm Oerlikon previously mounted at that location. This vessel is part of a small force of British MTBs which, together with American patrol boats, turned the 45 mile stretch of enemy held coast between Sezi [Sezze] and Genoa, Italy into their hunting grounds
    Imperial War Museum Admiralty Official Collection, by Hudson, F.A. (Lt), Photo No. IWM (A 22748)
    Original photo: Robert Hurst
    Replacement photo: Mike Green

    There is no DANFS history available for BPT-68
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Motor Torpedo Boat (PT) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History