Please Report Any Broken Links Or Trouble You Might Come Across To The Webmaster
Please Take A Moment To Let Us Know So That We Can Correct Any Problems And Make Your Visit As Enjoyable And As Informative As Possible.

NavSource Online: Frigate Photo Archive

Sausalito (PF 4)

Call sign:
Nan - Yoke - Queen - George


Sausalito was manned by the Coast Guard during World War II, and by the Navy during the Korean War

Sausalito served the Navies of the United States, the Sovet Union and the Republic of Korea.

Tacoma Class Patrol Frigate:

  • Laid down 7 April 1943 under Maritime Commission Contract, (MC hull 1422), (MC Type T. S2-S2-AQ1) as Patrol Gunboat, PG-112 at Kaiser Cargo Inc., Richmond, CA
  • Reclassified as a Patrol Frigate, PF-4, 15 April 1943
  • Launched 20 July 1943
  • Commissioned USS Sausalito (PF-4), 4 March 1944
  • Decommissioned 16 August 1945 at Cold Harbor, Alaska, loaned to the Soviet Union under the Lend-Lease Program reclassified EK-13
  • Returned to U.S. custody 1 November 1949 at Yokosuka, Japan and laid up in the Pacific Reserve Fleet, Yokosuka
  • Recommissioned at Yokosuka 15 September 1950
  • Decommissioned 9 June 1952
  • Transferred 4 September 1952 on loan to the Republic of South Korea and renamed Imchin (PF-66)
  • Struck from the Navy Register 1 September 1972
  • Sold to the Republic of Korea, under the Security Assistance Program, 1 October 1973
  • Scrapped in 1973.


  • Displacement 1,430 t.
  • Length 303' 11"
  • Beam 37' 6"
  • Draft 13' 8"
  • Speed 20.3 kts.
  • Complement 190
  • Armament: Three 3"/50 dual purpose gun mounts, two twin 40mm gun mounts, nine 20mm guns, one Hedgehog depth charge projector, eight Y-gun depth charge projectors and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 240psi 3-drum express boilers, two 5,500ihp verticle triple expansion J. Hendy Iron Works engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Discription Source
    USS Sausalito (PF 4)
    Sausalito 89k Dry docked at Yokosuka or Sasebo, Japan
    Photos by James E. Taylor
    Mrs. Mary Taylor
    Sausalito 141k
    Sausalito 22k c. 1950
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Photo by Lawrence Lafalamme, ex-GM2, Korean War crewmember
    Sausalito 129k c. 1951
    Firing one of her 40mm gun mounts
    Photo by James E. Taylor
    Mrs. Mary Taylor
    Imchin (PF-66)
    Sausalito 123k USS Ajax (AR 6) tending destroyers and patrol vessels at Sasebo, Japan. c. 14 December 1952. Ships nested along her port side include (left to right): USS The Sullivans (DD 537); USS McGowan (DD 678); USS Lewis Hancock (DD 675) and South Korean Frigate Imchin (PF 66), (ex-USS Sausalito [PF 4]). Nest of five minesweepers in the left distance includes: USS Heron (AMS 18); USS Curlew (AMS 8); USS Mockingbird (AMS 27); USS Gull (AMS 16) and USS Chatterer (AMS 40).
    National Arcives photo 80-G-478506
    Naval Historical Center
    Sausalito 127k Seen here in service as the South Korean Frigate Imchin (PG 66) outboard of USS Lewis Hancock (DD 675), USS McGowan (DD 678), USS The Sullivans (DD 537), and USS Ajax (AR 6). Sasebo, Japan. 14 December 1952
    National Archives photo 80-G-478507
    Sausalito 108k Seen here as the South Korean Frigate Imchin (PF 66). Underway, c. 1960.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 97331

    Commanding Officers
    01CDR Edward A. Eve, USCG4 March 1944 - 17 October 1944
    02LCDR Paul Edwin Trimble, USCG - Retired as Vice Admiral17 October 1944 - 14 May 1945
    03CDR Stanley J. Woyciechowsky, USCG14 May 1945 - 6 July 1945
    04LCDR Francis W. Deily, USN15 September 1950 - 9 June 1952
    Courtesy Wolfgang Hechler, Ron Reeves and Joe Radigan

    View the Sausalito (PF-4)
    DANFS History entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the Patrol Gunboat (PG) Photo Index Back to the Patrol Frigate (PF) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Joe Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History