Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Gunboat Photo Archive

Linaria (PG 91)
ex-HMS Linaria (K 282)
ex-Clash (PG 91)
ex-CN-309


Clash served only in the Royal Navy.

Action Class Gunboat:

  • Laid down as CN-309 by Midland Shipyards, Ltd., Midland, Ontario, Canada
  • Named Clash (PG 91)
  • Launched 18 November 1942
  • Transferred to the Royal Navy 19 June 1943 (actual date was 23 June 1943), under the Lend-Lease Program and commissioned HMS Linaria (K 282)
  • Returned to U.S. custody 27 July 1946
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration 15 January 1948, sold into commercial service and renamed Porto Offuro.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 1375 t.
  • Length 205'
  • Beam 33'
  • Draft 14' 7"
  • Speed 16.5 kts.
  • Complement 90
  • Armament: Two 3"/50 dual purpose mounts, two 20mm guns, two depth charge tracks, four depth charge projectors, and one hedgehog depth charg eprojector
  • Propulsion: Two 3-drum express boilers, 2,750ihp vertical triple expansion Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co. engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Clash 64k . Historical Collections of the Great Lakes

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History:

    Clash

    Opposition; conflict.

    Clash (PG-91), formerly CN-309, was launched 18 November 1942, by Midland Shipyards, Ltd., Midland, Ontario, Canada, for the U.S. Navy. Upon completion Clash was transferred to the Royal Navy on 19 June 1943 and commissioned as HMS Linaria. On 27 July 1946 she was returned to the U.S. Navy. Never commissioned in the U.S. Navy, Clash was sold on 15 January 1948.

    ************************************************************************************

    Linaria

    A British name retained; a common plant having showy orange and yellow flowers and known also as toadflax (Linaria linaria).

    Clash (PG-91) (q.r.) was renamed HMS Linaria upon transfer to the United Kingdom under lend lease 19 June 1943.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Gunboat (PG) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History