Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Gunboat Photo Archive

Huntress

Huntress served the U. S. Navy plus the New Jersey and Missouri State Naval Militia.


Auxiliary Gunboat:

  • Laid down in 1895 by Charles L. Seabury and Co., Nyack on Hudson, NY
  • Acquired by the U.S. Navy in June 1898
  • Commissioned 1 July 1898
  • Decommissioned 31 August 1898
  • Transferred to the New Jersey Naval Militia 30 December 1898
  • Loaned to the state of Missouri for Naval Militia training in 1907
  • Struck from the Naval Register 12 March 1917
  • Sold 3 December 1917
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 82 t.
  • Length 120'
  • Beam 16'
  • Draft 7' 3"
  • Speed 14 kts.
  • Complement 20
  • Armament: Two 3-pounder rapid fire mounts
  • Propulsion: One Seabury boiler, one 260ihp vertical inverted triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Huntress 60k Three ships officers Tommy Trampp
    Huntress 136k Original photo: Detroit Publishing Co. photo from the Library of Congress
    Replacement photo: Huntress on August 14, 1898 at New York Navy Yard, just over two weeks before being decommissioned. The Huntress was transferred to the New Jersey Naval Militia on December 30th
    Library of Congress photo LC-D4-20026 from the Detroit Photographic Co.
    Original photo: Dan Wilmes
    Replacement photo: Mike Green
    Huntress 133k Post Card of the Huntress, postmarked 1911 © Richard Leonhardt
    Huntress 54k Photo probably taken whilst serving with the Missouri State Naval Militia.
    Photo from the 1914 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships
    Robert Hurst

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: The second Huntress, a steam yacht with schooner rig, was built in 1895 at Nyack on Hudson, N.Y., by Charles L. Seabury & Co. and was purchased for the Navy from P. C. Fowler in June 1898. She commissioned 1 July 1898 after outfitting at New York Navy Yard, Lt. Felton Parker in command.

    Used as an auxiliary gunboat, Huntress departed New York for patrol duties off Staten Island, and from 29 July to 12 August cruised in Long Island Sound. She then operated briefly around New York before decommissioning in August or September. Huntress departed New York Navy Yard 30 December 1898 for duty with the New Jersey Naval Militia.

    The yacht remained with the New Jersey Naval Militia helping to train officers and men until 1907, when she was loaned to Missouri for Naval Militia training. Huntress was sold 3 December 1917.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back To The Gunboat Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History