Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Gunboat Photo Archive

Mindoro

Mindoro served both the U. S. Navy and Army


Mindoro served the Navies of Spain and the United States.

Gunboat:

  • Built in 1886 as Mindoro for the Spanish Navy by Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock Co., Hong Kong, British Crown Colony
  • Acquired by the Navy 2 May 1899
  • Commissioned USS Mindoro 12 June 1899 at Cavite, Philippines
  • Decommissioned 23 April 1900 at Cavite
  • Recommissioned 31 October 1900
  • Decommissioned 26 September 1901 at Cavite
  • Recommissioned 19 August 1904
  • Decommissioned 17 January 1906 at Cavite
  • Loaned to the Army 31 March 1906
  • Returned to Navy custody in 1906
  • Recommissioned 10 May 1906
  • Decommissioned 11 April 1909 at Cavite
  • Struck from the Navy list 19 June 1911
  • Sold 19 April 1912
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 142 t.
  • Length 100' 6"
  • Beam 16'
  • Draft 6' 9"
  • Speed 7 kts.
  • Complement 27
  • Armament: One 3-pounder, one 37mm mount and one Gatling gun
    1905 - One 6-pounder, two 1-pounders and two Colt machine guns
  • Propulsion: One Scotch boiler, two 125ihp inclined compound engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Mindoro 151k Hauled out on the marine railway at the Cavite Navy Yard, Philippine Islands, 1899.
    Courtesy of Lieutenant Commander John E. Lewis, USN (Retired), 1945
    U.S. Navy photo NH 46169
    Naval Historical Center

    View the Mindoro
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval Historical Center website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back To The Gunboat Photo Index

    Coments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History